Bitlocker

kwvh
3StarLounger

Bitlocker

Post by kwvh »

Quick question
I thought Windows 7 Pro supported or included Bitlocker as a part of the control panel. I am using Windows 7 Pro on a pc just purchased and want to use bitlocker. Will I have to upgrade to Ultimate?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: Bitlocker

Post by HansV »

According to BitLocker Drive Encryption, it is "available in the Ultimate and Enterprise editions". So yes, you'd need to upgrade to the Ultimate edition to get BitLocker.
Best wishes,
Hans

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Thanks, Hans!!

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Or find the "not-most-recent-version" Truecrypt - the one just before the Truecrypt melt-down - and use a more useful tool than Bitlocker.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I'm still using TreuCrypt 7.1a, but I would like to move to something that is getting security updates if possible. The way TrueCrypt died suggests that someone may have managed to put a back door into it.
StuartR

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

IIRC, there is an on-going security review of the source code of the latest non-meltdown version. The preliminary report is that the software is clean.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

PJ_in_FL wrote:IIRC, there is an on-going security review of the source code of the latest non-meltdown version. The preliminary report is that the software is clean.
That's why I'm continuing to use it, even though Secunia PSI keeps bleating about it.
StuartR