"Thinning out" restore points

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

"Thinning out" restore points

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Curious, is all.

According to Microsoft, "You cannot delete an individual restore point, but you can either delete all restore points or all but the most recent restore point."

According to CCleaner, I can remove specific restore points:
Untitled.png
I'm curious: Why would one want to restrict restore-point clean up in the manner of Microsoft (apart from laziness, cheapness of coding, or failure to see what users see?)

I can see myself wanting to maintain specific major fail-safe points in my platform, but wanting to remove intermediate points which I created as a real just-in-case; valuable at the time, but indisgnificant after some minor tests had been performed.
That is I can see a reason for permitting thinning-out restore points, but except for development costs (or lack of vision) can't think of a System Reason for disallowing thinning out.

Obviously (CCleaner) it can be done without crashing the system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: "Thinning out" restore points

Post by Rudi »

I found these threads in the Windows Club Forum.
Maybe they shed some light on your question?

-- http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows ... oints.html
-- http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows ... oints.html
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:... Maybe they shed some light on your question? ...[/url]
Thanks Rudi; they did.
I now recall Hans saying something about chained restore points.
If restore points from the oldest A to the newest F in the sequence A, B, C, D, E, F really are chained it doesn't follow that deleting one will corrupt the chain; it may be that the restore isn't fully done.
I can see where a SRP might consist of a fixed portion and a set of variable portions. The fixed portion might include the Registry and some essential Windows stuff; the variable portion might be, for example, INI files or user data.
It's not the end of the world if a data setting is no longer available because I deleted "D" and "E"; the essential data will be in place regardless of which intervening SRPs I delete.

Some serious research is needed here.
Now which of us has nothing better to do than to create six restore points, delete 2 and restore from the latest :scratch:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Chris wrote:
I'm curious: Why would one want to restrict restore-point clean up in the manner of Microsoft (apart from laziness, cheapness of coding, or failure to see what users see?)
---------------------------
Yes. All of the above.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.