Rotating the screen

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Rotating the screen

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The first time this happened it scared me near to death.
Nowadays screen rotation (orientation) is a useful tool.
(1) Experiment with the keyboard combinations Ctrl-Alt-UpArrow (default orientation; remember this one!), Ctrl-Alt-DownArrow, Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow and Ctrl-Alt-LeftArrow.
(2) In one of the non-default orientations try using the mouse.
Scary, right?
(3) To practice with the mouse I recommend you use a Google Maps page within your favorite web browser.
Maisse - Copy.png
This is just a sampler – go get your own full-size screen example, but do note the controls at the top-left corner of my sampler.
(4) Switch orientation – say Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow – and then practice sliding the mouse around. Oooooh!
(5) Keep your eye on those controls, and note that when you want to slide the mouse to HERE it is the same direction as what USED TO BE the DOWNWARD pointing arrow on the screen control, So! Slide your finger DOWN the mouse pad.
(6) When you want to slide the mouse to HERE it is the same direction as what USED TO BE the RIGHTWARD pointing arrow on the screen control So! Slide your finger RIGHT on the mouse pad.

Of what use is this stuff?

Well, suppose you have a laptop whose screen is twice as wide as it is high; that is to say, you have a laptop.
Suppose you want to manipulate a map whose main axis runs north-south. Your magnification (zoom in) is limited, right?
(7) Flip your screen with - say Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow – and then use the mouse to zoom, drag and generally get the map image as you want it, tap the PrtScr key to take a screen snapshot, load Paintbrush or similar and paste it in.
(8) As soon as that is done, rotate to the default orientation (Ctrl-Alt-UpArrow) and resume normal duties.

(9) Tip: Load Paintbrush BEFORE you do all the screen rotation stuff and just Alt-Tab to it when you’re ready; it’s that much less messing around with the mouse or cursors.

(10) Examination question: A change in screen orientation affects your use of the mouse. Does a change in screen orientation affect your use of the cursor arrow keys?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Leif
Administrator

Re: Rotating the screen

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Suppose you want to manipulate a map whose main axis runs north-south.
I would just rotate the map... :grin:
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:I would just rotate the map... :grin:
OK Leif, you got me.
Are you using the new(er) version of Google Maps?
I found this thread in productforums.google, but despite zooming in I still couldn't get the compass arrows, top left corner, to rotate the map. :scratch:

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Yes - and I think it is only available in the new Google maps.
Leif

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
OK Leif, you got me.
Are you using the new(er) version of Google Maps?
I found this thread in productforums.google, but despite zooming in I still couldn't get the compass arrows, top left corner, to rotate the map. :scratch:
So why don't you just update Google Maps? :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:So why don't you just update Google Maps? :scratch:
Valid question. Three answers to date:-

(1) I strive to use computers as tools, and prefer a stable platform to an ever-changing one. Yes, I'm deeply frustrated by the almost daily change in menu systems brought about by software that I "must" use.

(2) I've been struggling to help a couple of really recalcitrant Old Age Pensioners, and I wanted to get them up to speed (on their machines, and on mine) on features without switching between versions.

(3) I am partway through developing a travel essay, and didn't want to have to struggle with slightly different formats in use and presentation.

But please see also my second reply to Leif.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I finally thought of an alternate response; OK, it took me a couple of days, but ...

I used Google Maps as an example. Google Maps (New! Updated!! With Extra Features!!! And a learning curve !!!!), but I think my note applies to ANY application that one is using.

Notepad.exe comes to mind.
It doesn't have "rotate".

NO! Don't tell me ... :flee:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have never felt the urge to use Notepad like this:
S289.png
or like this:
S290.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Can't say I have had the urge either :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Don't worry Chris - they're all just jealous of your urges.
Leif