Uploading Pics from Compact Digital Camera

BobH
UraniumLounger

Uploading Pics from Compact Digital Camera

Post by BobH »

For some reason, the only application that pops up when I connect my camera to this system is Dropbox. I do not want to upload pics to the cloud but I have forgotten how to use built in Windows features to do this. I'm using Win 7 HPE and the camera is a Pentax Optio E60.

TIA

UPDATE: The camera does not show up in the list of devices connected to the computer but I know that Dropbox saw it and started uploading. If I go to Start > Computer the camera does not appear as a device. Is there something I need to do to make Windows recognize that it is there? The camera cable is connected to a USB hub. I know that I've done this before but haven't done so recently and don't remember how I did it before.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Uploading Pics from Compact Digital Camera

Post by BobH »

Sorry! I wasted bandwidth here. I DID find my camera listed in the devices. Now I just have to figure out how to get the shots on the HDD. I think I can just copy them using File Explorer and will report back by editing this post if it works.

UPDATE: I was able to copy files from the camera's SD card to the HDD. I used Edit > Select All and dragged and dropped them into the folder I had created for them. There are hundreds of pics; so the process will take awhile.

FWIW, I was a bit flummoxed by Windows not indicating that the device was my camera. It identified it as an external device and assigned the next available drive letter to it. When I finally figured out what it was, the rest was quite easy. I have devices using drive letters up to M:. I guess like Pogo Possum famously said, "We have met the enemy and he is us!"

My apologies for wasting bandwidth, but having been reminded by the recent Forum Rules changes, I re-read the rules which require me to post the solution I found.

Thank you!
:hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

You have wasted no ones bandwidth. :chocciebar:
We all need reminders at times. :evilgrin: :flee:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes, as you have discovered, the is nothing special about a picture on a camera. It's just a file (usually a JPEG) on a 'disk' so Explorer is all you need to get it from where it is to where you want it.

I don't bother connecting the camera direct to the PC. I take the card out of the camera, put it in my reader and then use Explorer to copy & paste to the destination folder of my choice.

For the less 'files and folder literate' user then the simplest option I've come across is Google Picasa. If you set that as the default application to run when your camera is connected to the PC then Picasa will import the pictures automatically. It will even put then into separate folders by date taken. Many people belittle Picasa but it's not as green as it is cabbage looking.

Ken

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:For some reason, the only application that pops up when I connect my camera to this system is Dropbox.
TIA
Hi Bob,

I realize that you have resolved your issue. But, as an added comment, you can go into the Dropbox settings and change the feature to auto-upload to Dropbox.
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

BobArch2 wrote:
BobH wrote:For some reason, the only application that pops up when I connect my camera to this system is Dropbox.
TIA
Hi Bob,

I realize that you have resolved your issue. But, as an added comment, you can go into the Dropbox settings and change the feature to auto-upload to Dropbox.
Thanks, Bob!

I uninstalled Dropbox to get around the problem. I'll reinstall and find those options.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the Dropbox window, click the gear icon, then Preferences...
S0746.png
Activate the Import tab.
Clear the "Share screenshots using Dropbox" check box, then click "Change AutoPlay Settings" to specify whether images will be uploaded from your camera directly to Dropbox.
S0747.png
Click OK when done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:In the Dropbox window, click the gear icon, then Preferences...
Da.., ya beat me to the punch! :hairout:

It looks like you use SnagIt and I had done the same pictorial. Oh well, that is what I get for being slow! :laugh:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry about that... (I use FastStone Capture)
Best wishes,
Hans