Run - Time Error involving COMDLG32.OCX

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Run - Time Error involving COMDLG32.OCX

Post by hlewton »

I installed a program but get this message when trying to run it. Also see attachment.

Run - Time Error '339':

Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered. A file is missing or invalid.

My windows 7 is a 64 bit version. When I look at this link on the NET http://www.bioinformatics.org/snp-tools ... mdlg32.htm I am not sure which instructions I am supposed to follow. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
KSLC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Run - Time Error involving COMDLG32.OCX

Post by Rudi »

Follow the: "for Windows 7 64bit version" section, half way down the page.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I think the above problem may be solved because I now longer get that error dialog box. But now when I try to run the program I get a Run - Time Error 53 File not found. The program shows up in my start - all programs menu but it will not run. I tried to uninstall it so I could install it again and it did not even show up as a program in the list of installed programs on my computer. I really don't know what to do from here. Any suggestions.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you find it in Revo Uninstaller Freeware?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No it does not show up there either. Let me give steps that led up to this.

This is a software program that I had been running on my XP computer since 2006. With XP about to be history I sent the people who sell this product an email. They are in Great Britain somewhere so I can't call them and they have been somewhat less than helpful over the years when I sent technical questions to them. So this time even though it may still be a technical question I asked a couple times if the version I had of this software could be run on my Win 7 machine explaining that I no longer had the computer but had the installation files on an external hard drive and asked if it could be installed in the Win 7 machine. I also asked if that wasn't the case if there was an upgrade available. They never did answer the question about whether or not it could or even should be installed on the Win 7 machine but gave me a link to a discounted price for previous customers. I downloaded the file, changed the ending to an exe file so it could run and installed it. All this was in their instructions. And you know the rest. It was a small download file but their instructions said in step 6. Click Install
After clicking Install the free/demo will be instantly
updated to the full version and the Setup window will close.

7. Restart your computer.

I did all this and as I said it does appear in the start menu but since I am having all this trouble I am wondering if this downloaded file could have required the previous version to be installed first. That was not in their instructions and I am afraid judging by previous experience with them they will get upset again and not give me the help I need.

I did create a Restore point before I installed this downloaded file. If I ran a Restore I would hope it would remove this program since I have no other way of doing it. If I then tried to install the previous version first would it do any damage if it is not compatible with Win 7?
I looked at their site and did not see a free demo version either but maybe I should have tried to install their full download but they did not say that either. Maybe I'll try running a Restore and then try the full installation and see what happens.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Performing a system restore should indeed get rid of the program.

From your description I get the impression that you should first install the free/demo version of the program, then run the small download file.
If you cannot find the free/demo version on their website I have no further suggestions, except trying to contact the publisher again.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans that was exactly what I did and they just replied with the same advise. Not sure I had to run the restore but I did anyway and it is now working.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton