Task Scheduler

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Task Scheduler

Post by DaveA »

There are a lot of programs that do NOT use the Task scheduler, such as Windows Up Date.
Does this happen EVERY night?

Does your AV program do a complete scan every night, if so it will check for definition updates?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good morning Dave

No it does not appear to occur every night and it is not the AV nor Windows Update.
I have done an exhaustive search through the Event Viewer & Task Manager etc and I am reasonably confident that dear old Google is the culprit.
Google Update Task Machine UA at 02.00 which is the most recent wake up.
But as best I can judge there is no way of altering Google time scheduling within Task Manager.
I do not believe its an external unwelcome visitor so I will live with the inconvenience.

Thanks all for your guidance.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

BenCasey
4StarLounger

Post by BenCasey »

Ron: Have a look at the free Process Explorer. An explanation of how to use it can be found here.

http://askleo.com/how_do_i_find_out_wha ... ll_my_cpu/

If you scroll to the bottom of that page, there are other links there that may also help.

Obviously you need to concentrate on 2am.
So what I would do is set you laptop time to 01.58 and sit back and see what kicks off at 2am.
Regards, Ben

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts."
- Richard Feynman

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for these tips Ben
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Or you can disable Google Updater in your Windows start up or in the Services list.
Just check occasionally, if you are really concerned about wanting to be sure Google is up to date.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

No worries Bob. I think 'leave alone' and admit that the 'system' has beaten me.
But I have learnt a lot in the process.

Thanks to all for all your advice :thankyou:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

An Update ... as if anyone is interested :thumbup:

Just over I year ago, I posted this thread about some gremlin waking my pc at night, flattening the battery and then saving at Hibernate. After working hard on this irritating issue (well casually checking this and that when I felt like it) I have hit the jackpot.

When charged and in use the battery will supply about 4 hours ... the pack is an extra large one letting me watch some professional cycling without running a power cable, whilst relaxing outside :thankyou: But from a study of the Event Viewer I observed (took me a while) that when the pc was woken it stayed awake for only a few minutes ... even though I know that there was plenty of charge available when I put the pc to sleep. A thorough check of all possible wake conditions confirmed that nothing was set to wake it whilst running on batteries. Further the only reason that it appeared to wake was due to the Power Button ... lastwake checked over and over.

Our cat has grown ... is the pc lid so flexible that when he rests on it (jumps on it!) it causes the momentary button depression :sad: nope, not that.

Through a mate of a mate (we have all been there but I should be old enough to know better) I purchased this recommended battery from a company in the UK to try to save a bit (a lot) by not getting the genuine pack from a local supplier. The pack works as it should, helping me out through the day as needed but usually a couple of nights a week at between 0100 - 0300 it would decide that it was nearly flat, wake the pc and then shut it down in Hibernate. I am guessing that some 'timing circuit' in this pack is faulty or not compatible with the HP battery circuitry.
ONE REASON NOT TO PURCHASE A NON GENUINE BATTERY PACK."It'll be alright in the end ... ".
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Always good to get a resolution. (It keeps us sane...even after a year!)
TX.

PS: I still think it was the cat! :evilgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.