Moving Program Icon Back To Start Menu

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Moving Program Icon Back To Start Menu

Post by hlewton »

On a friend’s computer he accidentally moved the Outlook icon, I think it is the program itself, from the Microsoft Office folder in the Start menu to his desktop. He called me when he did it. I had him try a “Ctrl Z” but that did not fix it. He is bringing his computer over and I am going to try to get it back to where it belongs in the Start menu’s Microsoft Office folder. I was thinking I could just left click it, drag it to the Start menu, wait until it opened, choose Microsoft Office Folder and drop it there. I searched the WEB to confirm this but did not come up with that solution at all. I did find this, “That's not a problem and is easy to recover. You're going to want to go to where the files and folders are stored in your start-menu and the easiest way to do this is to open your start menu, go into all programs and on another folder right-click and choose explorer. That will put you in the location where that folder and shortcuts are stored. From there, just go up a level and move the folder back from the desktop and you should be good.

For information, there are 2 folders that make up what you see in the start menu, a common (or public) one and a private one. Both get merged to give a seemless view.

The common (public) one is at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

and the private one is at C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

The above folders are below hidden folders so you'll have to turn on the ability to view hidden files and folders first but the right-click explore method is the easiest way to get there anyway.

Finally, if you want to create a shortcut of a folder in the start menu, just find it and then right-click and choose "Send-To". Below that menu you'll see an option to create a desktop shortcut.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck & Enjoy Windows 7”

I believe the above refers to moving an entire Start Menu folder to the Desktop where I will only be dealing with one program from within a specific folder. So I was practicing on my computer and when I right clicked on the Microsoft Office Folder in my Start Menu I was not given the option to open Explorer as it says above I should do but “Open” was an option and it looks to me like it is an Explorer window that opens So I think I’m fine that way, not 100% certain but believe it is the same as if I were presented with the Explorer option. However I am still curious if the method I first mentioned about dragging the icon from the desktop and waiting until All Programs open and then dropping the icon onto the MS Office folder would work.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Moving Program Icon Back To Start Menu

Post by HansV »

Yes, you should be able to do the following:
- Drag the Outlook shortcut (icon) to the Start button, then wait until the Start menu pops up.
- Drag the icon to All Programs, then wait until the All Programs menu appears.
- Move the icon to Microsoft Office, then wait until the Office submenu appears.
- Move the icon to the location within the submenu where you want it, then release the mouse button.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Moving Program Icon Back To Start Menu

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I thought it would work that way but have never done it before.
Regards,
hlewton