Win 7 Movie Maker

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Win 7 Movie Maker

Post by hlewton »

I am trying to get Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7. Every link I find takes me to a page that forced me to get it from downloading Windows essentials, which I did. I choose to only install the movie maker but immediately it asked me to sign into messenger which I want nothing to do with. I then tried to run the Movie Maker and the only file even close to it I found was called Windows DVD Maker. So I opened it but I am not at all sure it will do what I want and what all over the Internet it says is so easy with Win 7’s movie maker to do. I need to flip a video clip 90 degrees but don’t see it working that way in the file I got. Is it possible to get the Movie Maker for Windows 7 that will work the way I want it without all the other Microsoft essentials even if it is an older link that still can be downloaded?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win 7 Movie Maker

Post by HansV »

I managed to install Movie Maker without getting Messenger, so it should be possible to avoid Messenger...

The Editing group on the Home tab of the ribbon has Rotate Left and Rotate Right buttons (you must have loaded a video for these buttons to become active).
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans I saw a video on how to do it but maybe I did something wrong when installing, or trying to install it. I'll try again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well the second attempt at installing it seemed to work. No idea why it didn't on the first attempt.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that. Thanks for the feedback.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

The program does indeed rotate the video file but it does not allow it to be saved in a format that I can use and combine with the other videos I want to make a movie out of. I have searched the NET and thought I found some freeware that would allow me to do what I want, rotate and save a video in a useable format, but each site I visit seems to have a virus or other malware attached to it. That is when I stop and get away from that site. I have found nothing useful so far. Any recommendations on where I can find a program that will allow me to do what I need to do, again, rotate the video and save it in its original format?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What is the original format?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Actually there are two I am dealing with this time one is *.MTS and the other is *.MOV. They are easily combined into one DVD movie but a couple of the *.MOV clips are rotated 90 degrees from what they should be so it is the *.MOV format that I need to edit and resave in the same format.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See if Free Video Flip and Rotate does what you want, or else Free Studio from the same company. Although the site and software itself appear to be OK, be alert for offers to install extra software such as browser toolbars.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:See if Free Video Flip and Rotate does what you want, or else Free Studio from the same company. Although the site and software itself appear to be OK, be alert for offers to install extra software such as browser toolbars.
Thanks Hans, I'll look into them but the first one is one I did find that tried to download a virus on my machine at the site where I found it. Hopefully your link will be better than the one I found.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I got the Free Video Flip And Rotate installed and it does exactly what I need it to do. It, as I mentioned, was a program I found but my anti-virus program found viruses at the site yesterday. Today it downloaded without a virus notification but when installing it my program did find an adware installation file that it blocked. Since I had created a restore point before attempting to install it I continued with the installation from the point where my anti-virus program blocked the file and it seems to work fine. I did, however, run a full virus scan just to be sure and all seems well.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
hlewton