WMP 12 Default Windows Size Using Win 7 OS

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

WMP 12 Default Windows Size Using Win 7 OS

Post by hlewton »

Using Windows Media Player 12 with Windows 7 its default window size is really small. I cannot seem to find a way to set a default size for the player to open to as it is playing *.wmv files. Not sure if I should even post this but so far this is what I have found while searching the WEB but can’t make it work.
3doginc's suggestion is good, but needs one more step. 3doginc typed:
Switch to the "Now Playing" window using View or (Cntrl + 3). Resize the 'Now Playing" window by dragging its borders. Then switch back to the "Library" window and close media player.

The next time Media player opens it will remember the "Now Playing" window size."

The video option "Fit Video To Player On Resize" should be selected when playing videos.

Add this step: Click OFF "Fit Player to Video"... Click 100%.

Now, you should be able to size MP window any way you wish.
I think I am following the steps correctly but the default size doesn’t change. It reverts back to a very small window the next time I open a file. Also while trying to find the option to Click OFF "Fit Player to Video" I came upon another problem and will post a photo of it.

The second problem is within WMP options on the “Privacy” tab I see no way to get that tab’s window to open large enough to see the entire list of options. Possibly I am seeing the top half of the last line of options but I have no idea if there are more options below that line that I am not seeing.

So first since what I quoted is not working for me how do I resize WMP’s default window size and second how can I get a full view of that “Privacy” tab?

Thanks
Privacy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: WMP 12 Default Windows Size Using Win 7 OS

Post by HansV »

The options problem is weird, but you're not missing anything:
S216.png
I only use WMP to play music and videos, so I use "Skin" mode (Ctrl+2) with the very plain "Corporate" skin. It always starts small, but adjusts itself automatically to the size of the video, so the way it starts doesn't bother me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure why but even if I choose the Skin Mode it still plays in a very small window. I can drag the corners to make it larger but it does not remember the size the next time I open a video. I'm not really sure what you mean by adjusting to the size of the videos but I tried opening about 10 different "wmv" files and they all opened the same way in a very small window.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It appears to me that the size is based on the size that the video was made at.
They all seem to open at different sizes.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I'm really not sure about any of the sizes of videos. I guess I have really only seen 2 different types and that is a DVD movie which opens at full screen but can be switched down to a smaller window by using the arrow in the bottom right side of the open window and then the "wmv" files I have tried that for me all open in a very small window. Apparently some have had success setting a different default window size judging from that quote I posted but for whatever reason it does not work for me.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For me, the WMP window adjusts itself automatically to the size of the video. When I open a video from Windows Explorer, I see WMP opening in its default small size, then resize the window to fit the video.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Apparently from what I have read on the WEB it appears to be different things happen on different computers. I tried a few suggestions and for me I think I hit on a combination of suggestions that seem to be working. I will post two quotes that were separate suggestions but neither one by itself worked for me. However, the combination of the two appears to be doing the trick. Here they are:
1. I think I found something of a workaround but maybe its not entirely what you want. If you open Windows Media Player (without opening a file) and switch to the Now Playing view, hold the ctrl button while resizing the window. Then exit and open a file. On my computer it will pop up at the same size I had just resized it to.

2. Select View, Video Size, deselect Fit Player to video ... done
Regards,
hlewton

comprev
NewLounger

Post by comprev »

Open an MP3 file, Press Ctrl+3 to go to Now Playing view, Resize the window, then close WMP. The next time you double click a movie file, the window opens at the size set while playing the MP3 file.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

comprev wrote:Open an MP3 file, Press Ctrl+3 to go to Now Playing view, Resize the window, then close WMP. The next time you double click a movie file, the window opens at the size set while playing the MP3 file.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton