Change Win 7 Desktop Shortcut Icons

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Change Win 7 Desktop Shortcut Icons

Post by hlewton »

I am trying to change a desktop shortcut icon. Everything I read on the WEB says to find the icons in either of the 2 directories - C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll or C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll. I cannot find those folders when browsing for them while I am trying to change the icon or when using Windows explorer. In Windows Explorer I have set the View options to display hidden system files but still do not find those folders. I do see C:\Windows\system32\ but I do not see "SHELL32.dll" or "imageres.dll" So how do I browse to find those folder to make my choice of the icons I want to use?

Thanks
Last edited by hlewton on 08 Nov 2013, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Change Win 7 Desktop Shortcut Icons

Post by stuck »

:confused: you cite two paths, one ending with the file:
shell32.dll
the other ending with the file:
imageres.dll

But you then go onto say you can't find two different files, shell21.dll and imagers.dll. Which files are you looking for? Those in the paths or those you mention later?

For what it's worth my Win 7 Starter Edition has both shell32.dll and imageres.dll in the folder you state. I can't find either of the other two files you mention.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I'm sorry I made a couple typing mistakes but just edited it to match what I was trying to say.

Hey I just found it. Sorry for the post. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I have asked this before about not being able to find the folder SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll but eventually did find it in the Windows\system32\ folder. I have no idea why I could not find it then or why I can not find it now. It just doesn't seem to appear when I try to drill down to it either using Windows Explorer or when I really need it to change a shortcut's icon. I took a screen shot of what I am talking about. As you can see I am in the Windows\system32\ folder but there is no shell32 listed. However since I know the name of the shell32.dll file if I put it into the "File name:" box it will switch to that folder and allow me to change the icon. Why does the folder not show up when trying to drill down to it or when browsing for it to change the icon? I don't believe I am missing an intermediate folder am I? As far as I can see it should be showing up under the Windows\system32\ folder.

Thanks
Shell32.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Have you set the folder options to show hidden system folders?
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Because you are looking in the list of SUB-folders of System32, not in the main System32 folder itself.
Highlight System32 and look in the list of files shown in the main folder.
Shell32.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Your graphic shows that you are looking at the sub-folders in the System32 folder. Scroll down further to see the files in that folder.
Capture.GIF
Oops, Bob beat me to it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There are a very large number of system files which contain icons! Get a copy of IconsExtract from Nir Sofer's website, and point it at C:\Windows, and wait for as long as you like while it searches for icons for you!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:Have you set the folder options to show hidden system folders?
I believe I have but to be certain this is what you're talking about I just took another screen shot. Please look it over to make sure I am answering you correctly.

Thanks.
View Options.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, the radio button "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected - that's the setting StuartR meant.

As has been pointed out by others, the screenshot in your previous reply Post=113437 shows that you were looking for Shell32.dll in the left hand pane of Windows Explorer for the System32 folder. You should look for it in the right-hand pane instead. The left hand pane only displays the folder structure; the right-hand pane displays files and folders.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Yes, the radio button "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected - that's the setting StuartR meant.

As has been pointed out by others, the screenshot in your previous reply Post=113437 shows that you were looking for Shell32.dll in the left hand pane of Windows Explorer for the System32 folder. You should look for it in the right-hand pane instead. The left hand pane only displays the folder structure; the right-hand pane displays files and folders.
Thanks to all of you for the help. I'm so sorry I didn't even see the other replies when I posted the last screen shot. I guess I had a brain freeze either that or am just getting too old for all of this. I only read the one asking about the setting.

I really should have know better and have been able to find that file on my own but for some reason that didn't happen. Again thanks to all of you and I am going to look into that IconExtractor John Gray mentioned that I just now saw.
Regards,
hlewton