New PC - Won't wake from sleep mode

Deb G.
Lounger

New PC - Won't wake from sleep mode

Post by Deb G. »

I just purchased an HP All-in-One that came loaded with Windows 7 and has been upgraded to SP1.

I'm having a heck of a time waking the computer from sleep mode; the mouse does nothing however touching the keyboard makes things whirl for a bit as if it's coming to life. After what I think is a long-ish time, the screen lights up briefly with my desktop and then flickers to black again. The only way I can actually access the thing is to touch the power button a couple of times and eventually my desktop appears.

I've done a bit of reading on this topic but it seems there are about a gazillion things that I can try ranging from changing BIOS settings to making small tweaks in the power management settings. I have not gone into the BIOS settings but have done a couple of power mgmt tweaks without any success.

Has anyone else here had this issue and successfully resolved it? I don't want to mess around too much without knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: New PC - Won't wake from sleep mode

Post by JoeP »

See if any of the results starting with "Troubleshooting Sleep Mode" at this Microsoft search result help - windows 7 troubleshoot sleep.

Joe
Joe

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Can you return it to the dealer ? Seeing that you've only just purchased it, you should be able to.

OTOH, have you got an external drive plugged in via USB ? If so, unplug it and see if that helps. Once it's waking up, plug it back in.
Cheers, Claude.

Deb G.
Lounger

Post by Deb G. »

Thanks Joe - I can't seem to find anything that exactly replicates my symptoms. Claude, I thought of returning the unit but when I think of the HOURS it took to get all my old stuff loaded onto this new PC, the very thought of a replacement makes me cringe.

I read somewhere that said something like, "if you're having issues with sleep/hibernation, opt out of those settings completely and start turning your PC off when not in use". A bit of a pain, but there is this option.

Speaking of that, how about the opposite? Is it such a big deal if my computer just runs all the time? Is that terrible for the monitor/other bits and pieces?

Deb G.
Lounger

Post by Deb G. »

I checked my event viewer to see if it captured any of this strange behaviour and sure enough, there is some 28 errors under power management there. It looks like the USB Root Hub is the problem so I have unchecked "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the properties for the USB Root hubs. I hope this resolves the problem....I'll find out when it goes to sleep again.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Is it such a big deal if my computer just runs all the time? Is that terrible for the monitor/other bits and pieces?
I've got one PC (which is our main server,) which only shuts down when we have a power failure. It's be on since 2003 without sleeping other than blanking out the screen after 5 minutes of non-activity. Never missed a beat.
Cheers, Claude.

Deb G.
Lounger

Post by Deb G. »

Thanks Claude - that's reassuring to know.

BUT, I think I have fixed this problem with the above noted USB Root Hub fix. I just woke my PC up and one tap of the keyboard woke it up right away and it stayed on! Happy days:)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

USB hubs and devices are often troublesome when it comes to sleep and hibernation.

Joe
Joe