How to add an item to the Taskbar?

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

How to add an item to the Taskbar?

Post by Pilgrim »

I want to add a shortcut to a program which is not launched with an ".exe" file to the Superbar. I've tried the drag & drop method but it won't allow it. Right-clicking on the shortcut doesn't display the expected, "Pin to taskbar" option either. Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to add an item to the Taskbar?

Post by HansV »

Have you tweaked Windows 7 to remove the shortcut arrows from shortcuts?
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another thing: what's the name of the application or shortcut? If the name contains a term such as Documentation, Help, Setup or Readme, it cannot be pinned to the taskbar.
(See the registry entry AddRemoveNames in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation key for a complete list of reserved names)
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:Another thing: what's the name of the application or shortcut? If the name contains a term such as Documentation, Help, Setup or Readme, it cannot be pinned to the taskbar.
(See the registry entry AddRemoveNames in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation key for a complete list of reserved names)
1. No 'tweaks' to remove the shortcut arrows.

2. The shortcut does refer to a .HLP file; "REFCON.HLP". I have downloaded the patch from MS to allow .hlp files to be run on Windows 7 which works fine.

Sooo, you are saying because it is a .hlp file that it cannot be pinned to the taskbar, correct? OR, could the name "Help" be deleted from the data of that key to allow it? If not, then the other alternative would be to have the shortcut on the Desktop or I could try and pin it to the Start Menu (haven't tried that yet).

THANKS
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It looks like you can't pin .hlp files to the Taskbar, but you can pin them to the Start Menu.
I don't think removing Help from the registry entry would, er, help, but I must admit that I haven't tried it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

I'll give this a try the next opportunity I have when in Windows 7. Of course, I can always add the "Quick Launch Bar" to the Superbar and that should allow the shortcut to be added to it too.
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Pilgrim wrote:I'll give this a try the next opportunity I have when in Windows 7. Of course, I can always add the "Quick Launch Bar" to the Superbar and that should allow the shortcut to be added to it too.
See if How to pin any item to the taskbar in Windows 7 | Windows 7 Center or Using shell commands to pin anything you want to the Windows 7 Taskbar | OS Attack helps.

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks Joe for the links. However, neither were applicable. It seems that this type of shortcut cannot be added to the Taskbar nor even pinned to the Start Menu. Sooooo, it will remain as a shortcut on the Desktop until I put the old 'Quick Launch Bar' back into service.
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

However, neither were applicable. It seems that this type of shortcut cannot be added to the Taskbar nor even pinned to the Start Menu. Sooooo, it will remain as a shortcut on the Desktop until I put the old 'Quick Launch Bar' back into service.
I followed the directions in How to pin any item to the taskbar in Windows 7 | Windows 7 Center and was able to pin a .hlp file to the taskbar. You need to do steps 1,9,10.In In step 9 copy the "target" path from the .hlp shortcut and paste it into your new "target". In step 10 copy the "start in" path from the .hlp shortcut and paste it into your new "start in".

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

JoeP wrote:You need to do steps 1,9,10.In In step 9 copy the "target" path from the .hlp shortcut and paste it into your new "target". In step 10 copy the "start in" path from the .hlp shortcut and paste it into your new "start in".
Joe,

Thanks for your persistence! I went through the three steps after realizing I had to use "Shift>right-click" on the "fake" shortcut which I put on the Taskbar to get the "Properties" in the menu. After that it was a no-brainer... it worked perfectly!! Image

Again, thanks for your patience and persistence. Image
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You're welcome. Glad you got it worked out.

Joe
Joe