Using a Shared Printer from Windows 7 HP

BobH
UraniumLounger

Using a Shared Printer from Windows 7 HP

Post by BobH »

We have an older model HP LaserJet 1012 printer. It is connected to my wife's desktop computer which runs Win XP SP3. The printer is active and sharing mode is turned on on that computer.

We have a wifi network. Before installing Win 7 on my desktop, I was able to print to the 1012 as a shared device. Now that I have Win 7 running, I cannot figure out how to print from this platform on the old printer. When I first tried this, Win 7 complained that I didn't have the correct driver for the printer; so I removed the printer from the XP machine and connected i to the Win 7 machine. I had trouble finding and installing the correct driver, but my son-in-law took care of that over the weekend. The driver is installed on the Win 7 computer and the printer works just fine when connected to it; however, when I place the printer back on the XP machine, I cannot print to it even though my OS sees the printer on the network. I can print from the XP machine but not from the Win 7 machine.

I tried Start|Control Panel|Devices and Printers and found the icon for the printer with the little yellow triangle and "!" indicating problems with the printer. I ran the troubleshooting tool and found that it was not connected to the Homegroup. I allowed the tool to repair that problem and it showed "fixed" afterward. The troubleshooter also wanted to cancel all pending printing jobs and clear the queue which I allowed. I also got a "fixed" afterward. I still cannot print from the Win 7 machine. Win 7 is just different enough with its terminology and sequences that I'm a bit baffled about where to find and enable the options I need to use this as a shared printer from the Win 7 machine.

Can someone please point me to a go wiki that will walk me through resolving this problem?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Using a Shared Printer from Windows 7 HP

Post by stuck »

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Using a Shared Printer from Windows 7 HP

Post by DaveA »

As shown it the link above, I have used the "Right Click and select Connect" more than the install process.

This will almost always work on any "Shared" printer, that is listed but not set up by the OS automatically.
I first ran into this on Windows Vista and my HP 2100 on a XP machine.
This MAY also work, if there are NO new drivers for the shared printer and the new OS. When asked, just use the drivers from the Host machine that the printer is connected to. This will process the print job using the host drivers.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living