Is it Encrypted?

Sgte
2StarLounger

Is it Encrypted?

Post by Sgte »

I'm running Windows 7 Professional
I found that I wanted to try the EFS on a particular folder on my D; drive. I followed the instructions to right click the folder, select Properties then the Advanced button on the General tab, then Check Encrypt contens to secure data, click OK, click OK check (in my instance) Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files, click OK. Having done this I found as follows:

I have followed the instructions in this thread and have a folder (with 1 text file in it0 supposedly encrypted - as it has turned green. However I can still read the text file.... during the encryption process I was not asked to create a key.

So, please what am I missing?

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Is it Encrypted?

Post by Argus »

Yes, it's encrypted. It's done "on the fly", in the background, and it's decrypted when you access the folder, since you are logged on the OS is using the keys that were created when you encrypted the folder.

If the folder is shared, i.e. it's not in "my documents" or similar, other people will still be able to see the file name; but they can't access the file(s).

See for example (also how to backup your certificates etc.):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php ... windows-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Sgte
2StarLounger

Re: Is it Encrypted?

Post by Sgte »

Thanks Argus. Over our network what you said is true - my assistant couldn't open the file.
There are two disappointing points here:
1 That thye directory name is still showing
2 The the file namwe is still showing
Point 1 I can live with, but many of our directories do have descriptive names, point to an elemt of their content. However point 2 is unacceptable as our file names are very descriptive of their content.
So, looks like it's back to Magic Folders.