OS Confusion in re Drivers

BobH
UraniumLounger

OS Confusion in re Drivers

Post by BobH »

When downloading drivers from the OEM site (HP laserjet printer from HP web page), I can find the printer; but when I find it the choices for OS do not include Win 7.

From these choices, which should I choose for Win 7 64 bit? Do you suppose the Vista 64 bit is the better choice, or XP, or none of the above? By not listing Win 7 does it mean that the device is not supported under the OS? More generally, what are the rules with regard to upward portability of drivers? Are there any other than, "Try it and see."

TIA
drivers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: OS Confusion in re Drivers

Post by stuck »

You can try the Vista version but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

I'm afraid HP are well known for NOT providing current OS drivers for their 'legacy' printers, even if 'legacy' means barely a couple of years old.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Ken!

We have had this printer for quite a few years running under XP. It is a great little printer and the one we use primarily. It is unconscionable that manufacturers be allowed to orphan their products when there is no technical reason to do so. It smacks of corporate blackmail - or highway robbery - to enhance the current quarter's profits.

Ah ! Such is life under capitalism!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Try the 64-bit Vista drivers. Vista & Win7 have a different driver model than XP. If the driver install fails, try using the compatibility tab on the installer .exe file to run under Vista compatibility.

Joe
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The HP Vista 64 bit drivers usually work on Windows 7
StuartR