Win7 64 disk space error

Teunis
3StarLounger

Win7 64 disk space error

Post by Teunis »

I recently enlarged the disk space for my C: (boot) partition because less than 10% was available, colouring C: in the Windows disk size window red (see below middle pane). I took the space from D: and merged it. However, after this operation the diskspace for C: in the window was still red as before! However, clicking properties showed the correct size (below left pane).

On a similar line, time I temporarily stored a large number of files on D such that less than 10% free space was available, colouring the windows screen red (see below middle pane). After I moved these files from D: to an external disk, in the disk size information window D: was still red as before! However, properties showed the correct size (below right pane).
DiskSpaceWindows1.pdf
As a check I ran Acronis Disk director which also gave the correct size, as shown below.
DiskSpaceWindows2.pdf
I ran chkdsk /f for the whole disk, which did not change anything, reporting no errors.
My question: how to get the Windows standard disk size window (when you click "my computer") to report the correct size? The problem is that a number of operations (e.g. Shadow Protect) are based based on the (incorrect) figures shown in the standard screen.

I hope I made myself clear. Thanks in advance.
Regards, Teunis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win7 64 disk space error

Post by HansV »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see a red bar in your first pdf...

Does the problem persist after rebooting?
Best wishes,
Hans

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Hans, you are right, the middle pane is actually the Disk Management Window. The "standard" window looks like below.

The problem persists after rebooting, safe mode, chkdsk /f, redo windows experience index, etc.

Regards, Teunis
DiskSpaceWindow3.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does Acronis Disk Director "see" items such as the System Volume Information folder? This is a protected operating system folder, so it's hidden from most applications.
Best wishes,
Hans

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Hans,

1. Forget about the D: problem! I had forgotten there were still files in d:\temp: windows, disk management and disk director are now reporting the same.
2. The problem with c: still exists. I am not sure if DD can see the system information volume. Macrium Reflect also reports a correct C size of 196 GB, but the free space as 13.75 GB. (Which was the size before I took space from d: to increase this to about 58 GB free, as reported by dd - the software I used to do it.) So somehow this additional freespace is not recognised. Note that the diminished total and free sizes of d: after taking space from it, are reported correctly
!Regards, Teunis

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I found a thread about a similar problem on another forum; it was solved by using GParted Live CD. I don't know anything about that though.
Best wishes,
Hans

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Thanks Hans, I'll try this one. But which tool to use in my case?

Regards, Teunis

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As I mentioned, I don't know anything about GParted. I assume that it has some kind of partition table repair tool.
Best wishes,
Hans

Teunis
3StarLounger

Win7 64 disk space error - problem solved

Post by Teunis »

No joy out of gparted.exe, I tried disktools, although could be useful in other cases. I downloaded EASEUS partition manager free. It gave the same reports as DD. Then I resized C: (shrink) to create unallocated space. When I then resized C: again to take up all this unallocated space, everything was OK. Conclusion: in this case something went wrong when I resized C: the first time with DD.
Regards, Teunis