How can I record directly from my soundcard?

jmt356
SilverLounger

How can I record directly from my soundcard?

Post by jmt356 »

I want to record an online seminar to MP3 format. However, when I record using Sound Recorder, the quality is very poor. Therefore, I want a program that can record directly from the soundcard. I heard Audacity could do this, but upon installing it, I was unable to choose the soundcard as the source. Are there other programs or solutions available?

Basically, I want the quality of the MP3 recording to be similar to that of the sound coming out of my laptop.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: How can I record directly from my soundcard?

Post by HansV »

Try the following:
- In Windows, select Start > Control Panel.
- Open the Sound control panel.
- Activate the Recording tab.
- Right-click inside the tab.
- If the option "Display disabled devices" in the context menu is not ticked, select it so that it becomes ticked.
- You should see your sound card in the list.
- If your sound card is disabled, right-click it and select Enable from the context menu.
- Click OK.

Now start Audacity. You should be able to select the sound card as source.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I found it impossible to get Audacity to record anything sound-wise, because of restrictions apparently imposed by my nVidia (yes!) graphics card driver. Deeply frustrating. I've had to use Radio Downloader for BBC radio stuff, and the Firefox extension MP4 Downloader for YouTube.
John Gray

If you are having problems with solitude, you are not alone.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

jmt356 wrote:I want to record an online seminar to MP3 format. However, when I record using Sound Recorder, the quality is very poor. Therefore, I want a program that can record directly from the soundcard. I heard Audacity could do this, but upon installing it, I was unable to choose the soundcard as the source. Are there other programs or solutions available?

Basically, I want the quality of the MP3 recording to be similar to that of the sound coming out of my laptop.
You must install the drivers for your sound card normally Realtek HDA (High Definition Audio) then you will be able to set your 'Sound' recording tab to 'Stereo Mix' (details on request). If you do as HansV posted and their is a built in mic, it will pickup background audio during recording.
You also need to install http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/fa ... i=lame-mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then you can select the format its saved as, including quality. (details on request)
change red box to 'Stereo Mix' plus as highlighted in orange.
Untitled.jpg
P.S. I don't use it on my Laptop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I got Audacity to work, but the sound quality was less than ideal. On another computer the recording pays back with the same quality as the original online file.
Regards,

JMT