Blue Screens and Image Restores

Cah
3StarLounger

Blue Screens and Image Restores

Post by Cah »

I had a blue screen installing a piece of software. Upon restarting Windows Popped up a message about it:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

I then used a Macrium Reflect (free) disc image to go back in time before the software was installed but upon starting Windows the same message popped up again. How can this be? Is it anything to do with the fact that I'm running Windows (64 bit Ultimate) on an SSD? Or is it because of the Image? I find this confusing. Thanks.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Blue Screens and Image Restores

Post by viking33 »

Cah wrote:I had a blue screen installing a piece of software. Upon restarting Windows Popped up a message about it:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

I then used a Macrium Reflect (free) disc image to go back in time before the software was installed but upon starting Windows the same message popped up again. How can this be? Is it anything to do with the fact that I'm running Windows (64 bit Ultimate) on an SSD? Or is it because of the Image? I find this confusing. Thanks.
What were the details of the Blue Screen message? The number on the message will sometimes give a clue as to what caused the problem.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Hi Bob,

Here are the main details:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88008F57195
BCP3: FFFFF88008D36AD0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
I'm less concerned with why I got the Blue Screen (I think it was because I inadvertantly tried to open an exe file in Notepad++) but more with how the Blue Screen error message came back despite using a full image restore.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BSODs can be caused by software errors or hardware problems. The image restore can resolve most software errors IF the image was made before the software error occurred. If not, then your are just reinstalling the problem without the fix.
BSODs can also come from hardware problems like memory faults, overheating or overclocking.
Most screens will have a stop error displayed with a stop code something like
0x00000000 or similar. These codes can be the clues as to what is causing the BSODs. Look for a stop code like this in the next display.

You can also look in the Event Viewer log for more details.

When Windows crashes, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump
Check system event 1001 and it has the content of the blue screen

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001.

Copy the content and paste it back here
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.