choosing options in advanced sharing settings, 7starter ed

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

choosing options in advanced sharing settings, 7starter ed

Post by stuck »

In Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center | Advanced sharing settings the text at the top says, "You can choose specific options for each profile."

So in 'Home or Work (current profile)' under 'Public folder sharing' I set 'Turn on...'
and in 'Public' I set Public folder sharing to off.

When I 'Save changes' the choice I made second (off) is set for both profiles. I've tried making the changes in each profile one at a time but the effect is the same, both options are set the same.

What am I missing?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: choosing options in advanced sharing settings, 7starter

Post by HansV »

I don't have an explanation or solution, but I can report that the same happens on Windows 7 Home Premium, so it's not a limitation of the Starter Edition.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK, so it's the heading text that's misleading. I can set some of the other choices differently and they act independently just not this one.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess it's inherent to the concept of 'public' folders...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:In Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center | Advanced sharing settings the text at the top says, "You can choose specific options for each profile."

So in 'Home or Work (current profile)' under 'Public folder sharing' I set 'Turn on...'
and in 'Public' I set Public folder sharing to off.

When I 'Save changes' the choice I made second (off) is set for both profiles. I've tried making the changes in each profile one at a time but the effect is the same, both options are set the same.

What am I missing?

Ken
See if this helps, Ken.

http://www.7tutorials.com/what-public-folder-how-use-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Included in this article is:
By default, the Public folder is not shared unless you are connected to a HomeGroup. To enable or disable sharing this folder, you need to open the 'Advanced sharing settings' panel. To learn how to do this, read our guide on How to Customize Network Sharing Settings in Windows 7
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.