Is there a way to get my thumbnails to show an edited image?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Is there a way to get my thumbnails to show an edited image?

Post by jmt356 »

After I edit an Image, Windows Explorer shows the old image rather than the edited image as the thumbnail. Is it possible to get the updated, edited version to display as the thumbnail? I already tried http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 25ec9e31da" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it did not work; it simply caused an icon rather than thumbnail to show up for each picture.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Is there a way to get my thumbnails to show an edited im

Post by DaveA »

Go to the folder that this file is in, then the Tools Options, and on the View tab, remove the check mark on "Hide Protected files", then OK yourself out.

There you should see a "Thumbs.db" file, delete it and the go back and re check the hide protected files.
The next time you browse to this same folder the thumbs.db file will be regenerated, and the new edited image should appear in the thumbnail.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I don't have "Hide Protected files" on the View tab. I have "Hide protected operating system files," but it's already unchecked, and there is no "Thumbs.db" file in the folder in question, even if I display hidden files and folders.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave's method is the easiest solution for a single folder.

With a utility such as CCleaner you can delete the thumbnail cache for ALL folders containing images. This forces Windows to rebuild the thumbnail cache next time you view the folder.
x1222.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I know a nice Korean lady that is good with fingernails, but I don't know if she will edge your thumbnails for you! Is the image salacious?

:flee: :flee: :flee: :flee: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Is it normal not to have "Hide Protected files" on the View tab per Dave's instructions?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is what it should look like:
S0001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Yes, this is what I have in mine: "Hide protected operating system files," but it was already unchecked. Nonetheless, there is no "Thumbs.db" file in the folder in question, so there is nothing for me to delete.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The easiest way to delete the thumbnail cache is by using a program such as CCleaner (see above), or by using the built-in Windows feature Disk Cleanup. If you click Start and type the first letters of Disk Cleanup, you can chose it from the list of search results:
S036.png
Select the drive, then click OK.
Wait until Windows has determined what can be cleaned.
If you scroll down the list, you'll see thumbnails.
S037.png
Make sure its check box is ticked. You can tick or clear other check boxes as desired.
Click OK and confirm that you want to clear the files.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, the thumbnail caches are stored in a central folder under Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer.
S038.png
As you see, there are several thumbnail cache files.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:Dave's method is the easiest solution for a single folder.

With a utility such as CCleaner you can delete the thumbnail cache for ALL folders containing images. This forces Windows to rebuild the thumbnail cache next time you view the folder.
x1222.png
How can I get CCleaner to delete the thumnail cache for all of my folders containing images?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As shown in the screenshot in one of my previous replies: make sure that the check box "Thumbnail Cache" under Windows Explorer is ticked. Then click "Run Cleaner".
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It appears that CCleaner has all of the same boxes ticked by default as those in your screenshot, above. With these default settings, will CCleaner only delete my thumbnail cache or are there other files as well?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just ran CCleaner. While it deleted temporary internet files, cookies, recylcle bin files, temporary files, memory dumps, etc., my thumbnail caches remain as before.

Also, when I move the files to another drive (e.g., a USB stick), the thumbnails appear the same as when on my C drive, so these thumbnail caches are moving with the images.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I have no explanation for this behavior, but you can try the various other methods mentioned in this thread.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Also, when I move the files to another drive (e.g., a USB stick), the thumbnails appear the same as when on my C drive, so these thumbnail caches are moving with the images.
If you copy the folder over then Yes, tha thumbnail cache gets copied also. BUT if you were to copy only the viewable files, the the cache does not.

I so NOT use CCleaner, so I know nothing about it.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living