chkdsk /r log file

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

chkdsk /r log file

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit o/s, Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.8 GHz and 4 GB RAM

Quite frequently and not on any regular basis, when starting my computer displays a blue screen and very quickly a memory dump takes place. Usually the computer recovers and boots into Windows operating in a perfectly satisfactory manner. I have been advised, by a computer repair technician, that these dumps indicate a memory problem or a problem with the hard drive.

I have checked the memory modules using MemTest86 version 4.20 with no errors reported. I have now run chkdsk /r and the log file is attached.
20120812chkdsk-r_log.txt
If any one with experience of assessing such files would take a look please and let me know if there is an indication a hard disk problem. If there are other additional and appropriate steps to take I would appreciate advice.

Malcolm Walker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: chkdsk /r log file

Post by StuartR »

There is nothing very helpful in the chkdsk log. The kind of errors it repaired are typical of the errors you get when a disk is in use and the system crashes (blue screen).
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Stuart, Thank you for the rapid response and reassurance.
In the Event Viewer | Custom Views | Summary page events I found this:

The driver detected a controller error on\Device\HardDisk1\DR1

There are seven of these errors listed from early July to yesterday; is there anything to be deduced from them?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That is indeed a disk error. Could be the drive, but could be the controller (which is probably on the motherboard) or could even be the cable between the two.
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Your comments lead me to expand briefly on the history of the computer. Bought last April, on setting up I found the LAN port and the secondary SATA socket were unusable. The motherboard was replaced under the warranty. As the blue screen memory dumps preceded the replacement motherboard and have continued since then it might indicate that the cause of the dumps is confined to the either the hard drive or the connecting cable. I'll check the cable first and later change the hard drive for a spare I have available.

Thank you for your assistance - it is very much appreciated.

Malcolm