I used to be able to have multiple toolbars

Timelord
4StarLounger

I used to be able to have multiple toolbars

Post by Timelord »

I looked through the lounge and did not see this anywhere and the answers from Google were not what I wanted to hear. I remember in the good old days (XP) I was able to have a toolbar across the top of my desktop that showed everything in a specific folder. I cannot find a way to do that in Windows 7.

Has this been removed? Does anyone have a workaround?
Who will you Inspire today?

HansV
Administrator

Re: I used to be able to have multiple toolbars

Post by HansV »

That feature is not available in Windows 7 - although you can create toolbars in the taskbar, you can't drag them to the side or top of the screen.
You might try ObjectDock. The standard version is free for personal use; the Plus version is not free but it has more features.
Best wishes,
Hans

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

Thanks Hans. Unfortunately my employer does not let us download things of that nature. I will have to muddle through using a favorites tab in IE.
Who will you Inspire today?

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

HansV wrote:You might try ObjectDock. The standard version is free for personal use; the Plus version is not free but it has more features.
Hans,

I used ObjectDock until recently, but found that it seemed prone to forgetting settings. I'm now using RocketDock, which is also free, and I find more configurable and more stable.

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Chris,

Thanks - does RocketDock work well for you on Windows 7? When I was searching Google for my previous reply, I found some reports of users who had switched from RocketDock to ObjectDock because of problems with the former under Windows 7.

(I myself use neither; Windows 7's Libraries and pin-to-Taskbar features are sufficient for me)
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

HansV wrote:Hi Chris,

Thanks - does RocketDock work well for you on Windows 7? When I was searching Google for my previous reply, I found some reports of users who had switched from RocketDock to ObjectDock because of problems with the former under Windows 7.

(I myself use neither; Windows 7's Libraries and pin-to-Taskbar features are sufficient for me)
Hans,

I've only been using RocketDock for a couple of weeks, both on Windows 7 and XP, versus a year or more for ObjectDock. So far all seems fine on both platforms. I prefer to have the toolbar autohide, but ObjectDock frequently forgot this setting, and I had to reset it. Also RocketDock is more configurable as a toolbar, while avoiding the bloat from features I don't need.

(I have to admit I've never really got the hang of Libraries and Pin-to-Taskbar. Been using toolbars for ever, and find they suit me fine.)

Chris