Notepad cursor after "File, Save"

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Notepad cursor after "File, Save"

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Using Notepad (Win 7) I type some text and then use the file save command (Alt-F, S) to make an interim save.
To my minuscule annoyance the text cursor moves about half a dozen characters to the left, so I need to Ctrl-End to resume typing.

Please, Is there a cause for this? A fix?
Not urgent, just an annoyance.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Notepad cursor after "File, Save"

Post by HansV »

I can't reproduce the error - the insertion point remains where it was when I save a file.
Do you get the same behavior if you press Ctrl+S ?
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Notepad is a bit "buggy"; there are other things though I can't remember them at the moment*. I often use Ctrl-S to do an interim save, as you say. In Windows XP the insertion point can jump some characters, (or rows; though it doesn't happen all the time).

Open a previously saved file, add some characters, press Ctrl-S, and it jumps left.

*/ Automatic line break is a bit of a pain, but no bug, I guess; nice when typing. Save a file, then use Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to copy it to something else, Word, the Lounge post box, and you get every line on a new row. Flip the automatic line break back and forth after save but before copy, and everything works.
HansV wrote:I can't reproduce the error - the insertion point remains where it was when I save a file.
Hans,
Did you try with an old, saved, file? Or did you just create one for the test?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Argus,

I tested with a new file. I just now tried it with an existing file, and yes, the insertion point jumps when you save the file.

It's definitely a bug, and I don't think there is a fix for it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

The fun thing is, I just did some very quick tests with an old Windows 7 in a virtual PC, and it didn't jump. :laugh: But as we know, many applications keep there odd quirks between Windows versions, so that was why I could be almost certain (using XP) that this is still present in W7.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Leif!
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Leif wrote:A quick Google led me to: [...]
Yep, I had seen Bavi_H's blog post; it's linked to the other thing I mentioned, using word wrap, and copy the content of a saved file to another application, and you get double spaced text. It is buggy.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:A quick Google led me to:...which might help explain the issue, but not resolve it!
Thanks Leif, and thanks Hans.
I read the article that suggested re-painting, so i tried again, preceding the file-save with a couple of Alt-Tabs.
Works nice.

I'll continue to experiment with Alt-Tab before a File-Save.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You're welcome.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, as a postscript to this thread, among the MANY replacements, many of which are FREE is:

NoteTab Light - 100% freeware

I've been using it for several years and don't have any problems, other than the absence of a spell checker.