Schedule task for every 2 hours that will survive re-boot

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Schedule task for every 2 hours that will survive re-boot

Post by Peter Kinross »

I want to run a file synch app (GoodSync) every 2 hours. I can do this with Task Scheduler - schedule starts every day at 0:00 and repeats every 2 hours. BUT if I re-boot, I am guessing that the scheduled task that I am relying on will not run again until midnight. Am I correct? If so, is there any way of overcoming this typical MicroShaft 'feature'?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Schedule task for every 2 hours that will survive re-boo

Post by John Gray »

This is surely a case where the old adage "Why don't you try it?" must apply! :grin: Personally, I think it will work the way you want, but I haven't needed to try this myself.

(Other fine synchronisation applications, e.g. SyncBack, use their own internal scheduler...)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If it doesn't work then you should consider having a second trigger for the task based on system startup (or user login)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I just tried it, and it works! At 08:45 I set up a scheduled task (start 00:00, run every hour then and thereafter) to run a BATch file to write a message to a log file, and the 09:00:00.18 message is there. Watch This Space in ten minutes for the 10:00 message!
Ten minutes later... which happened at 10:00:00.19.
A day later...It ran as expected all the way up to 21:00 (PC shut down around 21:45) and started again at 08:00 (PC started up about 07:30).

Probably best not to tick the box saying "Wake the computer to run this task", though...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Ah John. Aren't the simplest solutions the best.
Pretty obvious when you think about it, but I never would have thought about it.
Thanks old son - appreciated.
My prob at the moment is that I am installing a new computer tomorrow (if it turns up) and all this scheduling will be going on that machine. As it will take at least 2 days to get it set up with all my software, I won't get around to putting this into practice for awhile.
Thanks again.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter