Windows 7 Home - Boot Options

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Windows 7 Home - Boot Options

Post by DaveInPitt »

I'm trying to troubleshoot a laptop that was hit with an unknown virus, that is assuming it's a virus that's causing the issue. The laptop will not boot into Safe Mode. If I attempt to boot normally or from last known configuration, the Windows 7 splash screen comes up, but nothing else. Anyone have a suggestion for how to boot this laptop, without having to reimage the hard drive? I'm also trying some additional F8 boot options, but so far, no luck. Thanks for taking a look!
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Windows 7 Home - Boot Options

Post by StuartR »

Can you boot from your Windows 7 installation media? If so then we could try some recovery options from there.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DaveInPitt wrote:I'm trying to troubleshoot a laptop that was hit with an unknown virus, that is assuming it's a virus that's causing the issue. The laptop will not boot into Safe Mode. If I attempt to boot normally or from last known configuration, the Windows 7 splash screen comes up, but nothing else. Anyone have a suggestion for how to boot this laptop, without having to reimage the hard drive? I'm also trying some additional F8 boot options, but so far, no luck. Thanks for taking a look!
Boot to your Windows 7 DVD and choose "Repair Mode" Let it run it's diagnostic tests.
You may have to get into your BIOS to change the boot sequence to have it look for a disk first.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

Thanks for the info guys. I think I narrowed down the cause of my problems to a corrupt classpnp.sys file; anyhow, Acer (my laptop brand) has a built in tool that will allow a system restore (without recovery\repair DVDs), that includes an auto back up of your data). Microsoft no longer ships recovery\restore CDs\DVDs with Windows 7 computers. We, as consumers, need to be proactive in creating our own system restore\repair CDs\DVDs, after we purchase a Windows 7 computer. So if you have recently purchased a Windows 7 computer, look into this. I'll keep you posted on my progress.....
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA