Task Scheduler Problem

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Task Scheduler Problem

Post by Gloria E »

I found the following message when I opened Task Scheduler.

2986295A-6683-4581-A627-BB18F95F4078 The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. Under Task Status: Summary: 150 total - 0 running - 0 failed. Last refreshed 6/21/2012.

No name of image, nothing to identify what needs to be fixed. What am I supposed to do with this no help notice?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Task Scheduler Problem

Post by HansV »

Do you see a task named {2986295A-6683-4581-A627-BB18F95F4078} in the list of tasks in Task Scheduler?
If so, select it, then click Delete under Selected Item in the Actions pane on the right hand side.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Do you see a task named {2986295A-6683-4581-A627-BB18F95F4078} in the list of tasks in Task Scheduler?
If so, select it, then click Delete under Selected Item in the Actions pane on the right hand side.
No Hans, the task you mentioned is not there, I do see the one I posted though. Could the task that's listed as being moved or tampered with be System Protection (System Restore)? I'm asking because when I checked the listed restore points, no automatic ones are being created. The only ones listed are the ones I manually create at startup and those for Critical Updates. With XP I always saw the automatically created restore points.

I read an article found on http://lifehacker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that said "System Restore snapshots are automatically created on a periodic basis using a Task Scheduler job, triggered at system startup and at midnight each day."

If that is true and SR should be listed in TScheduler, how do I create the task?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Click the start button.
Type services.msc and press Enter.
Locate Volume Shadow Copy in the list of services.
Right-click it and select Properties from the context menu.
Make sure that it is set to start automatically, and if the button Start in this dialog is enabled, click it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Click the start button.
Type services.msc and press Enter.
Locate Volume Shadow Copy in the list of services.
Right-click it and select Properties from the context menu.
Make sure that it is set to start automatically, and if the button Start in this dialog is enabled, click it.
Volume Shadow Copy was on automatic but not started, it is now. I rebooted just in case it was needed.

Then I checked Task Scheduler, this message appeared (it's not the first time I've seen it) "Task Scheduler sevice is not available. TS will attempt to reconnect it." Further information: Task Status= Status of tasks that have started in the last 24 hours. Summary: 49 total - 0 running; 49 succeeded; 0 stopped; 0 failed.

When I clicked on Display all running tasks, the message about the task service not being available was repeated. This is conflicting information, how could it not be available yet 49 succeeded? :scratch:

Gloria

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Apparently there is a corrupt task on your system (see your first post in this thread) - this probably causes the Task Scheduler to stop working.
Have you tried deleting the task that was reported as being corrupt?
Best wishes,
Hans