Disk Defragmenter

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Disk Defragmenter

Post by Gloria E »

I have set the Windows defragmenter to run weekly, but I'm not sure that that is a good thing.

My question is: should I have set it to run monthly or not at all. I let it analyze my C drive and it showed it as being 1% fragmented.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Disk Defragmenter

Post by HansV »

A frequency of once a week is the default setting; I see no compelling reason to deviate from it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Gloria
Stick with the default settings it will be fine.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

BUT, you must have it turned on at the time, that it is to do the defragging!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:BUT, you must have it turned on at the time, that it is to do the defragging!
I leave my computer running on the nights I have all scheduled tasks set to run. Separated by time so one does not interfere with the other, the monitor is turned off. I read somewhere that defragmentation was not necessary for computers running Windows 7, perhaps that was the authors opinion and not a sure thing. Defragging once a week for 1% seems a little excessive, but I will abide with your, Jezza & Hans's opinions.I thank all three of you guys for responding.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The article that you read probably said that it isn't necessary to run a third-party disk defragmenter such as Auslogics' Disk Defrag or Piriform's Defraggler on Windows 7 since Windows takes care of this job itself.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The article that you read probably said that it isn't necessary to run a third-party disk defragmenter such as Auslogics' Disk Defrag or Piriform's Defraggler on Windows 7 since Windows takes care of this job itself.
That's probably what I read, I'll keep running Windows Defraggler as was suggested.