Saving Personal Folders/Files

RonH
SilverLounger

Saving Personal Folders/Files

Post by RonH »

Each month I save on an Ext HD a complete copy of the pc hard disc using Windows7 Backup ... this includes all programmes. However; I also like to keep a manually created copy of My Documents. Presently I save Docs to a new folder each month on my Ext HD (eg April 2012 at the end of April, May 2012 at end May etc) and delete older copies over time. If I save these to the same folder in my Ext HD eg Docs, will any existing saved Folders/Files be updated only to account for any changes and any new Folder/file be added ... or are the existing Foldes/Files completely replaced?

I am thinking that the way in which I am currently copying is unnecessarily time consuming. :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Saving Personal Folders/Files

Post by Bigaldoc »

If I understand you correctly and the "original" documents remain on your primary machine's hard drive, it does seem to be unnecessary work.

If you're making regular image backups, ALL files on the primary drive are included in that backup. The only inherent danger in that external drive procedure is for the backup image to be corrupted somehow OR the drive itself fails (as has happened to me more than once!). That's why I invested in TWO external drives and alternate my imaging each week.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Al ... I even confused myself reading my question again :evilgrin:

Right, let me try the KISS principle. In addition to using Windows7 full system image backup (which of course also includes Docs) I also manually copy just My Docs onto a 2nd Ext HD. Can I copy these into the same Ext HD Folder (which already has a copy of My Docs from a previous month) and will any Folders/Files in that folder be updated to account for changes/additions.

I guess I should just 'try it' and see what happens but I'm lazy and like to ask the experts :cheers:
I hope that 'reads' OK ... if not then I will simply have to get some sleep and try again :innocent:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you simply copy your Documents folder to an external hard disk, the previous copy will be overwritten completely.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't swear there won't be a "fluke" of some kind, but "normal" Windows procedure is to ask you if a file already exists so you can decide to overwrite or not.

I have used TeraCopy for a long time since Windows' copy function often aborts when it has a "problem" and you have to start all over. TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows is a good utility and presents itself in the drag-n-drop context window.

But I still say that if you're imaging REGULARLY, this supplemental copying is probably not necessary.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks folks ... I am probably being too cautious about 'savings'. Probably best to just stick to what Windows7 Backup does.
Sorry to spoil your Sunday relaxation :evilgrin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.