Silverlight

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Silverlight

Post by Gloria E »

Do I need the Silverlight plug-in? There's an update for it with every Windows Update.Also please provide me with the explaination of just what it does?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Silverlight

Post by HansV »

Silverlight is an attempt by Microsoft to create an alternative for Adobe Flash. It hasn't become a widespread success but it is used by many Microsoft web pages to display animation or video and to provide interactive features.
If you remove Silverlight, those web pages wouldn't work correctly any more, or have reduced functionality.
So even though you might not need it frequently, I'd keep it.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Is Silverlight used exclusively on web pages? IIRC, I was asked to (or required to) install Silverlight when I installed the Office 2012 package for my wife. Could it also be used by the apps themselves?

Obviously, I know nothing (remember Manuel?) about Adobe Flash or Silverlight.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The web version of MS Office uses Silverlight, and some of the help features in Office. I don't think the Office applications themselves use Silverlight.

(Office 2012?)
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Silverlight is not restricted to web pages only. See About Silverlight and Silverlight Features for more information.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans and Joe!

My suspicion is that MS Office wanted Silverlight installed for those occasions when Help or other functions might access the Microsofat web pages for adjunct materials; but I haven't confirmed that by actual usage, yet.

Thank you, again.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The web version of MS Office uses Silverlight, and some of the help features in Office. I don't think the Office applications themselves use Silverlight.

(Office 20212?)
I was on the web looking for the IE Add-on 'Performance Advisor' I ended up not finding it but on the website http://windows.microsoft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site looking at Internet Explorer 9 features. There were many features to check and every one of them had 'To view this content, pleae install Microsoft Silverlight' displayed on the page.

This was the first time I saw it displayed like that. So more that Office uses the product in question.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I never wrote that Silverlight is used only by MS Office. In my first reply in this thread, I actually wrote "it is used by many Microsoft web pages".
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:I never wrote that Silverlight is used only by MS Office. In my first reply in this thread, I actually wrote "it is used by many Microsoft web pages".
I didn't mean that you wrote that, I was just explaining that I had found the product in other places. I was also letting other readers realize the extent of it's usage (that was just a drop in the bucket, I'm sure).