Help with Error Message

BobH
UraniumLounger

Help with Error Message

Post by BobH »

In trying to get symbolic links established between my user account on the boot partition (C:) and the D: partition (on a different disk drive), I executed the MKLINK command from the Command Prompt after having enabled Run as Administrator as required. The MKLINK command completed without error and said that it had created the My Music2 file in the appropriate directory in the D: partition. File Manager shows the new My Music2 directory in the D: partition; but when I try to copy data to it, I get this message.
Location unavailable.gif
I am making hard symlinks for the C:\USER\myname\ folders for Downloads, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos folders there. This will allow me to physically house the data in newly created folders on my D: partition thus freeing up space in the boot partition so that it will fit nicely on my new SSD and leave plenty of room for growth on the SSD. As I understand it, Win 7 will see the correct place to write the data but I will not have to modify anything else in those directories in the boot partition.

This process was complicated by the fact that I had already created the folders in the D: partition before running the MKLINK command. That command does not allow referencing a location that is already defined; therefore I adjusted my strategy by adding a '2' after each destination path name. This allowed the MKLINK command to run without error and actually created the path names with the '2' appended in the D: partition in the correct folder, but I cannot copy from the D: partition folder without the '2' appendage to the folder with it. I get the message shown in the screenshot above.

I searched and found many references to this error but none that seemed to fit my circumstances . . . most referred to problems with USB connected drives. Mine are internal to the tower case. One suggestion was to restore defaults in the C:\Users\myname\Desktop properties. I tried that to no effect.

Has anyone ever encountered this? If so, did you work around it? How?

TIA
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs