Organizing Sub-Folders in Program Files Folder

BobH
UraniumLounger

Organizing Sub-Folders in Program Files Folder

Post by BobH »

Over the years I've always allowed software I've installed to create and install in the Program Files folder on my hard drive. Many of those programs are used only on demand and some only rarely used. Because I'm getting long in the tooth (and because I was never the brightest bulb in the lamp), I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find those rarely used apps and find myself hunting through folders and sub-folders with names that bear no resemblance to what is in them.

"Aha!" says I, slapping my own forehead with the palm of my hand. "Why don't you just create more meaning folder names and move those sub-folders around to make your hunting trips more productive?"

Well, I tried that and when I went to move the first sub-folder, I got a nasty message saying that I was about to cry havoc and loose the dogs . . .

Do I really have to uninstall and reinstall all those apps just to get them better organized? Doesn't the registry keep track of folder changes and allow this type of directory tree modification without affecting how the programs execute?

Just when you think you've learned enough to . . .

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Organizing Sub-Folders in Program Files Folder

Post by Claude »

Instead of renaming subfolders under Program Files, which will make most programs inoperable, you should rename the short-cuts which are the ones you see under Start | Programs .

When I download new software, I always rename the inane filenames, as in "mpf3setup.exe" to say "canon multifunction xyz 123 windows 7 driver (mpf3setup.exe)"

In other words, I put the manufacturers name, the product and version number and the windows version plus the original download name into the file name so when I go through my downloads folder I know exactly what I'm looking at.

When I install programs, I rename the shortcuts to something meaningful and then put them into groups, lilke graphics software or Text editing etc.

it only take a few seconds after installation, but I can still find whatever I'm looking for after a few years without the need to remember the exact name of the program in question.
Cheers, Claude.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Claude.

It's a bit late to do it your way for me, but it just might be worth the effort to go back through and do it the way you suggested.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobL
StarLounger

Post by BobL »

Hi BobH,
I've been using this program: http://www.startmenu7.com/ since it was offered on Giveawayoftheday last year and it very intuitive - handy even. The link on the bottom of this page indicates it is Freeware but the Pay-For version $19.99 has a 'single click' start for all programs and multiple tabs.
I can actually 'see' and maneuver to any program I have installed on my system. Took to it like water off a duck's back and would really hate to have to do without it.
Hope this helps.
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can change, move, or rename any folder or shotcut that is in Start | All Programs.

Joe
Joe