Windows search. via Word2003

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Windows search. via Word2003

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am ashamed to say that I have just learned a faster way of searching for files.
I have given up on Indexed files on my Win7HP system (Task Scheduler, “Disabled”) and use “Everything" and “FileSearchy”.

My latest technique:

In MSWord(2003) I choose File, Open and instead of sorting the Open Dialog box by Date Modified to locate “RainWater.doc” which should be at the top of the list, and waiting while Word7HP locates files to fill the dialog box, I type the first two or three characters right there in the text box “Rai” always does the trick, and MSWord/Win7 auto-completes the text box contents.

So my keystrokes are reduced to “rai” and the <Enter> key.

I already have guessed that I am the last kid on the block to discover this trick, so this post is by way of acknowledging that fact (grin)

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Windows search. via Word2003

Post by Rudi »

Handy if you are in Word 2003. For everything else use Everything. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Windows search. via Word2003

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Handy if you are in Word 2003. For everything else use Everything. :grin:
Spot on :clapping: I spend most of my time in MSWord, and so making use of Word's "smarts" to find a file means I don't need to load a separate application (The fantastic EVERYTHING) to find a file which I know is local to my folder tree.
Cheers Rudi
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle