Links

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Links

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, is there any way to tell if a link will open in the same window or tab or another window or new tab without clicking on it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Links

Post by BobH »

Howdy, George!

What browser do you use? In Firefox, you control this under Tools > Options and the General tab as the screenshot shows.
tabs.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you are referring to an html hyperlink that is using the "Target" attribute to determine how to open the link, I don't think you can see that without viewing the full link address in an inspector window; (in Chrome, right click the link and choose Inspect). The value of the Target attribute determines opening the link in a new window or tab (_blank) or just in the same window (not used).
SC003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I mainly use FF (49.0.2) but use IE for certain sites.
I had the 'When I open a link in a new tab switch to it immediately' ticked. I clicked Rudi's link 'the "Target" attribute' it opened a new tab. I unticked the FF link box, it still opened Rudi's link in a new tab.
RR.PNG
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Lounge uses target="_blank" for most links, i.e. most links on Lounge pages will open a new tab regardless of your browser settings.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi George,

Taking Hans's point into consideration, can you clarify what you want to achieve? Your OP prompts about determining if links open in a new window/tab without clicking them, but your second post references the setting to switch to the clicked link when opening in a new window/tab. I'm a bit lost on what your objective is?
Regards,
Rudi

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

HansV wrote:The Lounge uses target="_blank" for most links, i.e. most links on Lounge pages will open a new tab regardless of your browser settings.
Thanks HansV, unfortunately not every one does so I usually right click the link and select:-
RR.PNG
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Rudi wrote:Hi George,
Taking Hans's point into consideration, can you clarify what you want to achieve? Your OP prompts about determining if links open in a new window/tab without clicking them, but your second post references the setting to switch to the clicked link when opening in a new window/tab. I'm a bit lost on what your objective is?
Hi Rudi, its as in my first post, can you tell how a link will open without clicking it. The option settings in FF make no difference to how a link opens.
My reason for posting here is your far better at giving advice compared with FF forum.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Please note: This is my understanding of it.... (I could be wrong!)

Since a link has a target attribute, if it is used in the link definition, it will open in a new window/tab regardless of how the browser properties are set.
If the link definition does not make use of the target attribute, the link will open in the same window/tab unless the browser is set to open it in a new window/tab

You cannot see this setting without clicking on or copying the link to view it in some form of inspect window or HTML editor.
Regards,
Rudi

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Rudi, I believe your correct. Now I know links clicked in the Lounge open in a new tab but the ones here always open in the same tab. http://www.techsupportalert.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

If you click your mouse wheel button on the link, that should open a new tab (if that's what you are looking for).
Leif

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Leif, I learn something new every day! Thanks for this tidbit.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.