auto restart after a power outage

Pat
5StarLounger

auto restart after a power outage

Post by Pat »

is there a way after a brownout happens that i can have my laptop turn on automatically and start certain programs?

HansV
Administrator

Re: auto restart after a power outage

Post by HansV »

Some PCs have a BIOS option to restart automatically, but from what I've read laptops generally lack this option, since laptops are designed to run off a battery. You could check though.

To get into the BIOS, look closely at the screen after (re)booting the laptop. An instruction on which key to press for setup should briefly appear. It's usually F2 or F12.

The exact option depends on your BIOS; there is probably a page/tab Power Settings. If there is a setting to power on automatically, it should be there.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Thanks Hans, i will try that tomorrow.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

There's nothing in the BIOS, although there is something in Control Panel/System but that's already set and doesn't work.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Pat!

What is the brand and model of laptop? You might be able to find information by searching on that information and looking for either a support page link or maybe a forum of users.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

I googled for help on restarting an Asus G75V laptop and the consensus is it cannot be done if the does not have the option to AC Power Recovery.
I may have to get a new laptop to do this.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Pat wrote:I googled for help on restarting an Asus G75V laptop and the consensus is it cannot be done if the does not have the option to AC Power Recovery.
I may have to get a new laptop to do this.
If you're happy with the Asus laptop, maybe just look for a replacement battery.
Cheers, Claude.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

I do need a new battery but that won't help with auto restarting the laptop after a power fail of say a few hours?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

With laptop, it is because of the battery there normally is not a need to do a restart with a power lose.
The battery acts as a "backup Power" source and that is why there is no setting to do this.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Pat wrote:I do need a new battery but that won't help with auto restarting the laptop after a power fail of say a few hours?
I'd set it up like this: When running on battery and charge is less than 20% -> get laptop to sleep.

To preserve your new battery, as soon as it is charged 100%, disconnect the charger, let the charge go down to at least 25% before plugging the charger back in.
Cheers, Claude.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

DaveA: I understand that but where i live in the Philippines they frequently have power outages of up to 12 hours at a time.
Clause: When you say to get laptop to sleep if it falls to below 20%, obviously i do this manually? Or is there a way to do this automatically?

Thanks to all for your contributions, food for thought.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Pat wrote:DaveA: I understand that but where i live in the Philippines they frequently have power outages of up to 12 hours at a time.
Then you need to learn to turn OFF the machine, when you think you will be losing power.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Pat wrote:When you say to get laptop to sleep if it falls to below 20%, obviously i do this manually? Or is there a way to do this automatically?
You should be able to set that up in the windows power management settings. Which version of windows do you have ?
Cheers, Claude.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DaveA wrote:
Pat wrote:DaveA: I understand that but where i live in the Philippines they frequently have power outages of up to 12 hours at a time.
Then you need to learn to turn OFF the machine, when you think you will be losing power.
But Dave, how many times do you get an early warning that power is about to go off? Most times it just goes off suddenly and you are out of luck. Unless you have an Uninterruptible Power Supply, (UPS) which will give you about 15 minutes to power down. Good investment.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We get storm warnings all the time, which we decide to turn them off or not.
Yes, we have battery back ups and the laptops have batteries also. We run the laptops off of power more than we do battery, so when we have a power outage we can shut things down.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DaveA wrote:We get storm warnings all the time, which we decide to turn them off or not.
Yes, we have battery back ups and the laptops have batteries also. We run the laptops off of power more than we do battery, so when we have a power outage we can shut things down.
Rather than "storm warnings" ( which can become a rant of mine) there are also many sudden outages, such as car accidents that take out power and phone lines, transformers popping their breakers because of a load overload, trees that decide to lose a big branch that lands on the utilities or just plain old age when utilities decide that enough is enough and end their useful life.
I'm glad to hear that you also have a UPS in use. Probably a lot safer than deciding that you can still squeeze another minute or two before throwing the switch.... Just as a lightning bolt hits nearby and throws a huge glitch over the line that fries your machine(s). :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Here in the Philippines the power goes off when the power company feels like it, so no time or warning.
Besides if i am out shopping or whatever i have no time even if i have a UPS.
If i need this i will get a desktop computer.
Thank you all, a great lot of people on this site.