Is there (what is?) the role of Windows in Cloud?

CData
3StarLounger

Is there (what is?) the role of Windows in Cloud?

Post by CData »

As all data moves to 'the cloud' - regardless of provider - Google, AWS, Azure, etc...... is there (or what is) the role of a Windows PC? At the moment there seems none - and that the User Interface is a browser.... okay so Windows just to run a browser doesn't count....... It strikes me as a lot of OS available but not being used.

Maybe asked another way is there a Windows based development tool to create UIs for some of these platforms? Some time back in exploring Azure I thought I found out that it required a fixed IP address to link into it...meaning the typical traveling user or copied/shared Windows front end UI file would not be viable....while a fixed location web server would.... not that this is an Azure question per se....

... when it comes to data in the cloud - the web server is going to be the only environment to gateway users to it?

Sorry this is so rambling but would welcome input assuming you sort of understand the idea of the question.....

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: IIs there (what is?) the role of Windows in Cloud?

Post by Rudi »

This is a VERY broad rambling! You'd consider yourself lucky if any specific question will be answered in full.
Personally, I wouldn't know where to start tackling this one...

I'll just drop off a page or two and hope that somewhere within its contents it will provide one or two pieces of clarity.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I'll join in to ask if you would please rephrase the question?(s) :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'll challenge where you're starting from:
CData wrote:As all data moves to 'the cloud' - regardless of provider - Google, AWS, Azure, etc...
Where I work data is NOT moving to the cloud and never likely to do so. I don't think my place of work is that unusual in that respect. Consequently we're all busy using loads of applications on our Windows PC everyday and that answers you first question:
CData wrote: is there (or what is) the role of a Windows PC?...
with an emphatic YES!

Ken

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

well I'll rephrase it: For all that data that does move to the cloud (rather than 'As all data moves to the cloud')
So no need to point out that non cloud data still uses Windows PCs... that we all understand

the question is around the growing cloud data; and the role of the Window PC: I will take Rudi's links which were to Azure as an example. My research a year past found linking to the Azure VM required a fixed IP address - meaning that Windows PCs apps as a front end are not viable (because of the changing IP addressing) and that one would have a web server in front of it. A cursory review of AWS/Google seems to find the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong - maybe I don't understand - that's the reason for this post.

Is cloud based data inherently going to have only a web server front end? .... relegating the Windows PC to doing nothing but running a browser.... Not trying to be controversial. I would really like to design Windows apps that can WAN link to cloud data. But I can't seem to find it and so this post.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

This is where the tablet like and iPad type of devices were brought forward. In my opinion, they are a bit early as most of us common users just are not ready for it. Also most local programs that we really use, have no "Cloud interface" to replace the local use. Yes, there are apps for the phones tablets and iPads, but they are a step between the local and cloud. They are not in my book real programs, just a translator from one OS to another.

I am highly into genealogy, and several of the OEM's including Ancestry have tried forcing people to the use the online versions, but we just want to have control of our data and not give away to some one else to sell the information that we have provided them for a fee that we may pay to use.

Yes, some local programs are able to use the cloud for shared storage, but one must be on top of things as they can and do get clobbered or lost. I am all for the storage of "Public" records on the cloud, so we can search for them and read them. The trouble with things like Ancestry, anyone can post information good or bad, one just needs to double check the source of the information. True we have the same problem with books, but they were not the easy to publish and were not cheap and a lot of them are nothing but bad information.

Just my :2cents:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I for one would reverse the question: Is there a use for cloud ?

Why on earth would I upload my personal data and completely lose control over it, make it vulnerable to be hacked.

Chances of a major hack attack on my own system are far less than a coordinated attack on a major service provider. There is no way whatsoever I'll ever upload any of my stuff, including photos, onto a computer somewhere unknown.
Cheers, Claude.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Claude wrote:I for one would reverse the question: Is there a use for cloud ?

Why on earth would I upload my personal data and completely lose control over it, make it vulnerable to be hacked.

Chances of a major hack attack on my own system are far less than a coordinated attack on a major service provider. There is no way whatsoever I'll ever upload any of my stuff, including photos, onto a computer somewhere unknown.
:thumbup: That sounds like my position too. OK I do upload a few pictures here but I understand that by doing so I've lost control over them.

Ken

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

stuck wrote:OK I do upload a few pictures here but I understand that by doing so I've lost control over them
But, you don't upload them here to retrieve them in a few days/months/years, you upload them to share and you've most likely kept the original at your place... :thinks:
Cheers, Claude.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Claude wrote:...and you've most likely kept the original at your place...
Indeed.

Going back to the apparent trend for data to move to the cloud, perhaps it's all a matter of perspective. All my life I've known nothing but driving/controlling my own car so why would I ever want a driverless car? However, for the generation that grows up with driverless cars as the norm, it will seem crazy to want to drive your own. Similarly as cloud data become the norm, trying to control your own data will seem crazy...

Ken

CData
3StarLounger

Re: Is there (what is?) the role of Windows in Cloud?

Post by CData »

While I suppose everything under the sun takes place but I believe cloud data, or 'big data', is more for statistical mining - and not specific personal data. Such as the number of widgets that get purchased depending on the temperature or the number of liquor stores compared to the crime rate, etc, etc, At the same time I am fairly certain that a lot of the online vendors use exclusively cloud services - well certainly Amazon does - and so one's personal data at least in terms of purchase is going into the cloud. But the question / topic is really more about developing BI. If a client has tables of data and want to analyze it. Push it to the cloud. Then what? - in Azure case use Reporting Server but otherwise we have to hang a web server in front of it and build all the query/reporting via a web server... there is no way to build a Windows application to connect to cloud data that I can determine.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Is there (what is?) the role of Windows in Cloud?

Post by JoeP »

Check out Visual Studio. It is the premier development IDE for Windows environments local, cloud, and hybrid. IMO, it is overly simplistic to think that a web interface is going to be the only way to access cloud data. Currently, there are better ways to do some processing and analysis in a program written in a traditional language better than in a web oriented language. Although, that is changing fast.
Joe