You need to format the disk in drive before you can use it

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

You need to format the disk in drive before you can use it

Post by ChrisGreaves »

There are many pages on the web which address this issue.

I read some of them. (Later: I forgot o add that I was amazed that the pages I did read seemed to focus on backing up data, formatting the drive, es-creating the partitions etc etc; not one (that I dead) gave me a clue about thinking of the Driuve rather than the Port. Hence my post)

I was puzzled because I had thought I'd resolved the issue during a recent re-installation of Win7HP.

It turns out that (surprise!) the message is related to the spinning platters, not the USB slot.

In my case I have TWO TrueCrypted USB hard drives which I use to make parallel backups each night. Plug one in, run backup, plug in the other, run backup.

First backup after system build I get the message. I know what to do:-
Explorer, right-click on Computer, Manage, Disk management. Select the offending drive, right-click and "Remove" drive letter.
Problem solved!

Turns out that I have to do that for BOTH drives.
I had thought that I was removing the drive letter "F" from the USB-socket in the side of the laptop.
I'm not. The message applies to each individual drive.

This explains hours of frustration over the years; and now it all seems do sanglant obvious ...

(signed) "Occasionaly simple-minded" of Toronto.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 05 Jul 2016, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: You need to format the disk in drive before you can use

Post by John Gray »

Remember the old saying: "It's socket to me time!"...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...