30 years of Windows (Nostalgic article)

Rudi
gamma jay

30 years of Windows (Nostalgic article)

Post by Rudi »

30 years of Windows: 10 milestones that changed the face of computing...

When Windows 1.0 arrived 30 years ago, it hardly seemed like a juggernaut. Apple had beaten Microsoft to the punch with the Mac OS, and Windows was mostly a shell on top of MS-DOS. Here's a record of three decades of successes and missteps that took us from Windows 1.0 to Windows 10.

Windows 10 is likely to be the last "big bang" release of Windows. Going forward, Microsoft has committed to developing "Windows as a service," with new features appearing as automatic updates rather than shrink-wrapped boxes.

The PC is no longer the centerpiece of modern computing, and Windows no longer holds a monopoly on the market for computing devices. Remarkably, though, Windows is still alive and well, 30 years after its tentative debut. Will it last another three decades? Probably not, but it will still be an economic force for many years to come, even if only as a legacy product.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: 30 years of Windows (Nostalgic article)

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I don't know what you guys are so exited about, I've had windows in my house well before PCs and the like. Mind you, thanks for the reminder, looking at them, I'll be spring cleaning them tomorrow :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As they said in the '90s: in a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:As they said in the '90s: in a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
:rofl:
(Shouldn't that be, "In a world with Apple orchids, who needs windows and gates?")
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Apparently, gates are useful. I'll tell you how, once I manage to jump'em ! :crazy:
Cheers, Claude.