Alt + F4 to close current Window

jmt356
SilverLounger

Alt + F4 to close current Window

Post by jmt356 »

I have two laptops: an HP and a Lenovo Thinkpad. On my HP, alt + F4 closes down my active Window. In order to get this to work on my Lenovo, fn must also be depressed. Is it possible to get the Lenovo to close the current Window without also having to press fn?

If it is of any help, this is how my other function keys work on my HP:
F1 brings up Help
F2 reduces screen brightness;
F3 increases screen brightness;
F4 activates a second screen, but when pressed with alt, it closes down my window;
F5 activates Find and Replace | Go To dialogue (in Word);
F6 goes back a track;
F7 plays or pauses;
F8 goes forward a track;
F9 reduces volume;
F10 increases volume;
F11 toggles the mute;
F12 toggles the Wifi.

This is how my function keys work on my Lenovo ThinkPad:
F1 toggles the speaker mute;
F2 reduces volume;
F3 increases volume;
F4 toggles the microphone mute;
F5 reduces screen brightness;
F6 increases screen brightness;
F7 activates a second screen;
F8 toggles the Wifi;
F9 activates Control Panel;
F10 activates Search;
F11 opens active windows to sort through;
F12 launches My Computer.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Alt + F4 to close current Window

Post by HansV »

You can 'lock' the Fn key by pressing Fn+Esc.

I don't know if BIOS Update Utility for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), XP - ThinkPad Edge E431, Edge E531 would be relevant to you - one of the things it fixes is "an issue that Fn lock can't be kept after reboot".
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Do you have any modifications on your keyboard combinations? Do you run any apps to manipulate hotkeys on your Lenovo?
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad (with no customization on the keys - no third party hotkey modifications) and ALT+F4 closes the active window (without having to use the Fn key). If you have made changes with customizing hotkey combinations, then your guess is as good as ours to what combo might close the active window. If this is the case, close the hotkey manager completely and try the ALT+F4 key again.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

To my knowledge, the only modification to the keyboard that was made was swapping the Fn and Ctrl keys, as per my thread at http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 84#p138484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Currently, I don’t have to press the Fn key in order to get any of the Function keys to work. For example, if I press F4, the microphone mute is toggled. I would have thought that this means that my Fn key is “locked.” However, this does not appear to be the case because when I press Fn + Esc, “FnLk” appears on my screen, which I understand to mean that my Fn key is now locked. However, when FnLk is activated, I have to press Fn to get any of the function keys to work. For example, pressing F4 when FnLk is activated does nothing. I have to press Fn and F4 simultaneously in order to mute the microphone.

At the same time, having FnLk activated enables me to close down the active window by depressing Alt + F4, without having to simultaneously depress Fn. That is the configuration that I desire. But is there any way to get that function to work while at the same time allowing me to use the rest of the Function keys without having to simultaneously depress Fn? In other words, to get Alt + F4 to close down the active window while also allowing me to use the rest of the Function keys without having to press Fn?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No. That is contradictory. You can either use the actions assigned by the applications, such as Alt+F4 = close application, or the custom actions assigned by HP, such as increase volume.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

For whatever reason, on my HP, I can access all of the functions of the F keys without pressing Fn and can close the current window by pressing Alt + F4, but on my Lenovo, the only way to get Alt + F4 to close the current window is to "lock" the Fn key, which means I then need to hold down Fn in order to get the functions to work. I want the Lenovo to function as the HP, but this does not appear to be possible.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

According to a thread I saw on the Lenovo forum you should be able to do what you want in the bios. See Persistently lock function keys!?.

Joe
Joe