POp up asking to clean pc

Pat
5StarLounger

POp up asking to clean pc

Post by Pat »

Is this pop up safe to use, if not, how can I stop it popping up as it is very annoying :bummer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: POp up asking to clean pc

Post by viking33 »

Pat wrote:Is this pop up safe to use, if not, how can I stop it popping up as it is very annoying :bummer:
I wouldn't try it.
What anti-virus program do you have?
Anti-malware program?
Is it running?
Does this pop up when you first start up or when?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

It pops up a couple of times a day, not at startup.I have Avast antivirus. I don't have an anti malware program, at least I don't think so

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try running a Threat Scan with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see if it comes up with anything.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Thanks Hans, I am running it now. It has found about 22 things already

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

It is still happening.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does the problem only occur when you're browsing, or also when you're not?
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Take a look at Control Panel > Programs and Features.
Do you see an entry for 'MyPC Backup'? If so, uninstall (remove) this program. It is scamware that sneaks onto your PC with other software.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Thank you, I just did that, now we wait

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I clean out garbage like this on customers computers all the time. Basically, I consider any popup to be hostile, hunt it down and kill it. I use WinPatrol Plus as the primary info source. I ruthlessly kill any process and delete any programs and addons which aren't immediately recognizable. Then I run all the repair programs I have, the entire process generally takes about 7 to 8 hours per computer, but it works. :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Claude wrote:I clean out garbage like this on customers computers all the time. Basically, I consider any popup to be hostile, hunt it down and kill it. I use WinPatrol Plus as the primary info source. I ruthlessly kill any process and delete any programs and addons which aren't immediately recognizable. Then I run all the repair programs I have, the entire process generally takes about 7 to 8 hours per computer, but it works. :smile:
So if I am understanding correctly you run WinPatrol to identify the problems then use other methods to rid the computer of what WinPatrol finds. I may not be understanding your link correctly but what it looks like to me is WinPatrol will identify a problem as it is trying to install itself and I believe at that time WinPatrol may allow you to get rid of it. However, if the problem is already on the machine you need other programs to get rid of the problems or disabling it with WinPatrol may do the trick.

Can I ask what are the repair programs you run that are compatible with Win 7?

I like the idea of the one time lifetime fee for WinPatrol for all computers now in in the future. I do believe I will buy it soon.
Regards,
hlewton

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I have the mobile version of WinPatrol Plus which I use on customer sites. I first detect the troublesome task, kill the task, then try and find a way to uninstall the problem program, if no success, I simply kill the entire folder it was in.

After rebooting, I make sure that the task isn't still there, then use Glary Utilities to clean up the mess, then (after have removed all the suss stuff) I scan the system with malwarebytes as well as Spybot. Seems to do the trick.
Cheers, Claude.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Claude wrote:I have the mobile version of WinPatrol Plus which I use on customer sites. I first detect the troublesome task, kill the task, then try and find a way to uninstall the problem program, if no success, I simply kill the entire folder it was in.

After rebooting, I make sure that the task isn't still there, then use Glary Utilities to clean up the mess, then (after have removed all the suss stuff) I scan the system with malwarebytes as well as Spybot. Seems to do the trick.
Thank you for the information. I installed the WinPatrol Plus last night on one machine. Since I bought the lifetime subscription with unlimited computers I will eventually get around to installing it on other computers I have.

I found this quote from WinPatrol's site very interesting: "WinPatrol's future is now in the hands of Ruiware founder and former lead at Sunbelt Software, Bret Lowry," because I started using my anti-virus program, Vipre, when the company selling it was Sunbelt. It no longer is owned by that company but I still use it.

I use everything you mentioned on a regular basis with the exception of Glary Utilities but am going to look into it soon.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Claude wrote: I make sure that the task isn't still there, then use Glary Utilities to clean up the mess,
One more question, do you recommend the free version , I ssume there is a free version because of this quote, "The No. 1 Free, Powerful and All-in-one utility for cleaning your Windows PC" or the Glary Utilities Pro version. If it is the pro version is there an annual fee to keep it updated?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton