Just as I suspected Windows 8 may become the new "Vista"...

Rus
StarLounger

Just as I suspected Windows 8 may become the new "Vista"...

Post by Rus »

Curiously, even though Windows 8.1 has been praised as being a significant improvement over Windows 8, Windows 8.1, at 6.6 percent, isn't much more popular than Windows 8 with its 5.9 percent.

Windows itself, with 91.5 percent, remains the dominant desktop operating system. Indeed, Windows 7, which moved up to 50.55 percent, saw its fourth straight month of gains.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/can-exp ... ms-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Re: Just as I suspected Windows 8 may become the new "Vista"

Post by HansV »

Is that link the one you wanted to post? :scratch:

(a) guns aren't exactly what Eileen's Lounge is about, and (b) the link doesn't work for me.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh:

The link does not work for me either.
I think Rus was intending to shoot windows 8 and was scanning around for the right weapon to do it with.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Link works for me, but the subject is just not of the calibre we expect here...
Leif

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Leif wrote:Link works for me, but the subject is just not of the calibre we expect here...
:chocciebar: :clapping:

Rus, this subject is starting to annoy the Admins. I think you Beretta modify it...
Regards,
Rudi

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Rudi wrote:
Leif wrote:Link works for me, but the subject is just not of the calibre we expect here...
:chocciebar: :clapping:

Rus, this subject is starting to annoy the Admins. I think you Beretta modify it...
Maybe he shot from the hip ? :scratch:
Scott

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

I did find an article on [url=http://%20GeekWire.Com]GeekWire.com[/url] called "New stats: Microsoft’s fastest-growing OS is … not Windows 8"

It contained a link to ComputerWorld Author Gregg Keizer's article "Windows 8 uptake sags, flirts with flop"
Scott

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In my opinion. Windows (8.1 Update) doesn't deserve its bad reputation - it is in many ways an excellent operating system - but Microsoft made several fatal mistakes with the initial version and the way it was marketed, and the "Windows 8" name won't lose its tarnish. So they'll probably concentrate on releasing the next version of Windows as soon as possible and hope that everybody will forget about Windows 8.
Best wishes,
Hans

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Hans,

I tend to agree with you the more I use Windows 8.1 (admittedly - rather reluctantly at first).

Like Vista, I think Microsoft promised more than it could deliver and the existing changes were to much for the "Standard" user. I liked the start button on the desktop.

Without the touch screen, the graphic screen took more time to get used to. For me, it was not a turnkey system out of the box.

Or maybe, I am getting to a point where I can not be taught new tricks :rofl:

My personal opinion, Microsoft needed Windows 8.X on Smartphones and Tablets to continue to be competitive. Maybe Windows 9 will be addressed more to all users.

After all, I think we will eventually be down to a "Mobile" computer of some sort in the future or all of our viewing, computing and telecommunication needs.
Scott

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

IMNetUser wrote:After all, I think we will eventually be down to a "Mobile" computer of some sort in the future or all of our viewing, computing and telecommunication needs.
I think one of the most serious of Microsoft's mistakes was the assumption that, because the sales of mobile devices are growing much faster than those of traditional desktops, everyone would use a mobile device to do everything. That is demonstrably not true -- try to write a book, code a major application, or design a database on a tablet or a phone, and you'll soon find out why professional people all use desktops. A large-screen laptop is the absolute minimum in terms of screen real estate and rapid input.

Mobiles are "mostly OK" for viewing and telecommunication, and maybe for amusement (although streaming a theatrical film to a 7-inch or 10-inch screen seems counterproductive), but they'll never be sufficient for content creation.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

The link doesn't work for me neither. (I still insist on Windows 7 for my customers new PCs.)
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Jay Freedman wrote:...try to write a book, code a major application, or design a database on a tablet or a phone, and you'll soon find out why professional people all use desktops. A large-screen laptop is the absolute minimum in terms of screen real estate and rapid input.

Mobiles are "mostly OK" for viewing and telecommunication, and maybe for amusement (although streaming a theatrical film to a 7-inch or 10-inch screen seems counterproductive), but they'll never be sufficient for content creation.
I have been saying exactly the same thing. I have a laptop, an iPad and iPhone. Obviously I am on my laptop all day at work, but when i get home, instead of pulling out my iPad I pull out my laptop again. Usually in supporting here on the lounge I would need to open an Excel/Word attachments and probably do a macro or two....useless on an iPad. I probably use my laptop 95% of the time. 3% on my phone to check emails and and text msg's while away from my laptop, and 2% on the iPad for amusement.

BTW: on thing about Win8 is it's fast startup process again which I really enjoy. Close the PC lid, get home, open the PC lid and I'm back up and running in about 30 seconds. Just a few seconds shorter than an iPad anyways.
Regards,
Rudi

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Jay Freedman wrote:
IMNetUser wrote:After all, I think we will eventually be down to a "Mobile" computer of some sort in the future or all of our viewing, computing and telecommunication needs.
I think one of the most serious of Microsoft's mistakes was the assumption that, because the sales of mobile devices are growing much faster than those of traditional desktops, everyone would use a mobile device to do everything. That is demonstrably not true -- try to write a book, code a major application, or design a database on a tablet or a phone, and you'll soon find out why professional people all use desktops. A large-screen laptop is the absolute minimum in terms of screen real estate and rapid input.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

My poor choice in words. I should have said I think the trend appears to be eventually going to "Mobile"...

All of my desktops have at least a 20" screen. My notebook is a 17" screen. I prefer the "Full" size keyboards. I only recently received a "Smart" Phone as a result of family.

I do not discount the technology where smaller is getting more powerful. I am trying to find an artucle I read in last 2-3 months were scientists are working on creating "Changing" motherboards. An organic motherboard that can adapt to the type of computing need the user wants.

Science Fiction - YES ! For now.

I freely admit I am becoming (or current am) a Dinosaur :grin:
Scott

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I freely admit I am becoming (or current am) a Dinosaur :grin:
----------------------------------
Welcome to the club. Lots of members here who enthusiastically endorse the requirements!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

viking33 wrote:I freely admit I am becoming (or current am) a Dinosaur :grin:
----------------------------------
Welcome to the club. Lots of members here who enthusiastically endorse the requirements!
This is one of my favorite Dilbert cartoons. And that was more than 15 years ago...
COBOL programmer

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's hilarious! :rofl:
Best wishes,
Hans

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

That was a good one Jay.

I always liked Bob the Dinosaur.

You know he got promoted ? Bob the Dinosaur

Scott Adams also seems to catch the Pointy Hair Boss - Here is one that fits a boss I used to have.

Pointy Hair Boss
Scott

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Ha! As long as we're trading Pointy Hair Boss strips, this one's good, too: Flexible

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Jay Freedman wrote:Ha! As long as we're trading Pointy Hair Boss strips, this one's good, too: Flexible
This comic strip belongs in this thread...How regular is Bimonthly?
Regards,
Rudi

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Jay Freedman wrote:Ha! As long as we're trading Pointy Hair Boss strips, this one's good, too: Flexible
:clapping: :cheers: :chocciebar:

rudi wrote: This comic strip belongs in this thread...How regular is Bimonthly?
Point taken. :evilgrin:
Scott