Language files

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Language files

Post by ErikJan »

I've been annoyed by something for years and think I'm looking for a tool that can help me.

Let me explain: when installing programs, very often they come 'universal', that is: all languages are installed; often in dozens of sub-folders, each with dozens of files. I use one language only (English). The rest can go, I don't need it now, or ever...

Now I know that with disk space and speed, this is not a problem, but it still annoys me. Examples are e.g. Java, Samsung Magician (for SSDs), Western Digital HD drivers & programs and I think there's zillions more.

Is there no tool that has a database where all these folders are and allows me to simply delete them all? I've never heard about that but I'm hoping it's out there...

HansV
Administrator

Re: Language files

Post by HansV »

Nah, I don't think such a thing exists. There is no standard structure for those language files, so each developer comes up with an individual implementation. It would be virtually impossible to keep track of all the different ways...
Best wishes,
Hans

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

But e.g. CCleaner works exactly like this too... It has a database listing many different programs and is can clean up dummy & temp files... why not language files too?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

CCleaner can be run frequently - some users run it daily - because temporary files and the like accumulate all the time.

You'd only use a "language cleaner" after installing new software, however. There would be no point in running it frequently (unless you install new software daily), so I guess it's not worth the effort to developers.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Probably just as easy to look at the folder of a newly installed program and see if it has a Language folder and then dump all but the English sub-folder. I do that regularly and it seems to work out fine.
You are right though, a LOT of "universal" progs have that space wasting inclination.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Agree with both of you, but every time an update of a program is installed, all of this comes again... Maybe one day I'll make something myself ;-)

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Just a thought ...

Have you checked options for turning off addition languages on installed programs ?

I am pretty sure Microsoft Products have the option of selecting which, if any, additional languages you want installed.

I know many of my utilities have options during installation that allow you to select which language you want.
Scott

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Only one language may be activated, but many programs still install the files for other languages.

Piriform's CCleaner, for example, asks which language you want when you install it. But here is a screenshot of a small part of its Lang(uages) folder:
S0839.png
Kinda ironic for a program dedicated to removing unnecessary files... :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

OUCH !!! :laugh:

True irony !

Thanks for the reply - I was not thinking.

The one thing I like about Microsoft Office programs (unless they changed) was the option to install from DVD first time selected. But, I guess you would have a similar situation if you select option install from disk ?
Scott

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have the English-language version of Office 2010 Professional Plus, installed fully. It doesn't install the files needed for the Office interface in other languages.
Best wishes,
Hans

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

That is good to know.

I have an XP Machine with Windows 2003 only partially installed.

I am thinking I will need to install Office 2013 on the Windows 8.1 Notebook.
:thankyou:
Scott