Can I extract Office programme files

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Can I extract Office programme files

Post by jaystarter »

My Toshiba laptop came with Vista and Office Home and Student 2007 Trial. I bought a key to activate Office after the 90 day trial.
The Hard drive recently started making noises so I bought a new HDD and reinstalled Vista from the Toshiba reinstall disc but Office Home and Student is missing, there never was a recovery disc for this I assumed it was on the Toshiba OS recovery disc. I eventually found the Microsoft ISO download for 2007 home and student but it wont allow the download as wont accept my key.
I can access the old HDD via external usb enclosure and can see Office files in the Programme Folder with the likes of Word.exe and Excel.exe, is there any way to extract these to the new HDD?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can I extract Office programme files

Post by HansV »

You probably can, but it won't help - installing Microsoft Office consists of much more than just copying some files. DLLs have to be registered, etc. So even if you copy the program files over to the new hard disk, it's unlikely that you'll be able to get them to work.

You might try contacting Microsoft UK Customer Service (0844 800 24 00) and explain the situation.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Thank you for the number Hans, I was hoping I could try and talk to an actual MS person to explain. As I see it I did buy that version of Office and its still on the same machine so I think I'm entitled to keep it.
Jeff

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Annoying to have lost out on this but I've just checked my Office 2010 that I bought for my windows 7 desktop and it includes 3 licences so I can install that on the laptop now. Thought I might give Libre Office a try first though.
Jeff