OS emulators?

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

OS emulators?

Post by mishmish3000 »

OK, I'm sitting around trying to get busy with projects at home (learning geometry, practicing Arabic) and I found some old PC games. Unfortunately, they all require either Windows 95 or Windows XP, and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

Is there an easy way to set up an emulator for a previous version of Windows, WITHOUT hosing my current set up? I am very pleased with how my computer's running now and shudder at the thought of messing it up, but I would dearly love to be able to play Diablo, Diablo2, HalfLife and Doom3 again.
Anne

HansV
Administrator

Re: OS emulators?

Post by HansV »

Some of these games can be played on Windows 7 Home Premium in Windows 95 or XP compatibility mode, sometimes needing a patch. If you search Google for (for example) Diablo 1 Windows 7 you'll find details.

Or you could upgrade to Windows 7 Pro using Windows Anytime Upgrade - you can do this "in place". Windows 7 Pro lets you run Windows XP Mode (a virtual machine).
Best wishes,
Hans

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Thanks, Hans!!!!
Anne

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

1.Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Data Execution Prevention.

2.Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"

3.Select "Add", navigate to hl.exe (or the exe of problematic games)

4.If you're using Steam, then add steam.exe too
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Thanks, John!
Anne

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

Oh, and a quick note to say that I had trouble getting Freelancer to run when I reinstalled it recently. Turns out that Windows 7 has issues with it when it is installed in Program Files(x86). When I installed it in the root of C:\ - in it's own folder of course - :smile: it ran just fine.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

What's Freelancer?
Anne

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

Yup, that's the one.
John

― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

You may wish to consider installing a Virtual Machine (VM), which will allow you to install Windows XP or some previous versions on top of Windows 7. There are several free VMs; the one I prefer is VMware Player. I have used this on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7. It is simple to set up and use, and does not interfere in any way with any other application on the computer. But it does require that you should have a legal copy of the guest OS (e.g. Windows XP), which you will have to activate. However, I have found no problem with using and activating copies of XP from 'retired' machines.

Chris

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Thanks! I'm sure I have a copy of XP around here somewhere... that's an idea. I do appreciate everyone's ideas!
I got Doom 3 to work but I think I have aged... it makes me a bit dizzy now! LOL
Anne

BenCasey
4StarLounger

Post by BenCasey »

mishmish3000 wrote:Thanks! I'm sure I have a copy of XP around here somewhere... that's an idea. I do appreciate everyone's ideas!
I got Doom 3 to work but I think I have aged... it makes me a bit dizzy now! LOL
Hi Anne, where did you download your Doom version from (presumably) malware-free?

Are there any other free version of Doom or Quake out there which are malware-free?

Thanks
Regards, Ben

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts."
- Richard Feynman

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Oh no I actually have the CDs for Doom 3. I didn't download it. I didn't know there were copies out there to download of Doom (I should have known... the Internet has everything!).
Anne

BenCasey
4StarLounger

Post by BenCasey »

OK, thanks
Regards, Ben

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts."
- Richard Feynman