Installing Windows 7 and Serial Key

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Installing Windows 7 and Serial Key

Post by jaystarter »

I have a legitimate Dell Reinstallation DVD (W7 H Premium) with key that came with a Dell PC.

I would like to do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 on the same PC and have a ISO copy of W 7 H Premium downloaded from DigitalRiver.

Would it be OK and legit to use this ISO and enter the DEll serial key (to save loading Dell bloatware stuff) so giving me a clean "windows only" operating system?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Installing Windows 7 and Serial Key

Post by HansV »

I assume that the Dell key is for a OEM installation that is bound to the computer. Since you're reinstalling on the same PC, I think it should work. You may want to wait for confirmation (or denial) from a Windows expert though.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Why not just use the "System Recovery" to factory settings that is on most new OEM machines?
This will include all of the drivers and supporting programs that you need from Dell.

You are going to spend more time getting the drivers and supporting programs, if you use the ISO, than you are going to do cleaning up what you do not need from the Factory reset.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

It is an OEM disc, for some reason there is no System Recovery partition on the Dell PC...it is 3 maybe 4 years old and I inherited it 2 years ago but would be surprised if the previous owner deleted anything as they were not tech savy.
Jeff

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

jaystarter wrote:I have a legitimate Dell Reinstallation DVD (W7 H Premium) with key that came with a Dell PC.

I would like to do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 on the same PC and have a ISO copy of W 7 H Premium downloaded from DigitalRiver.

Would it be OK and legit to use this ISO and enter the DEll serial key (to save loading Dell bloatware stuff) so giving me a clean "windows only" operating system?
Just to answer my own Q. It seems to work OK simply activate over internet as normal.
Jeff

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for letting us know.
StuartR