Dual screen in Win 7

steveh
SilverLounger

Dual screen in Win 7

Post by steveh »

Hi all

Not sure if this is a Windows 7 or Windows general question

I have set up a 42" inch TV as a second screen on a Win 7 PC with the purpose of displaying our van fleet on the big streen and the user working normally on his screen / PC.

I have screen 1 and 2 showing in the setup and on the users PC he has his background picture and the task bar etc. and on the large screen we have the background picture only. No matter what I have tried I cannot get anything to show on the large screen (except the background picture). I have Googled etc but still can't see where I am going wrong.

Any ideas please?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Rus
StarLounger

Re: Dual screen in Win 7

Post by Rus »

Someone may be able to help more readily if we knew what video board and drivers you have and how (what cable) the monitors are attached with.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

From your description, I assume that you have already set the display to "Extended desktop".
Have you tried dragging a window from the PC screen to the TV (taking the relative position as set in the control panel into account)?
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Rus wrote:Someone may be able to help more readily if we knew what video board and drivers you have and how (what cable) the monitors are attached with.
Hi Rus

I am a 'press ganged' IT person, we didn't have anybody until a Customer audit about 7 years ago when the CEO said it was me because it was known that I could use Ctrl + Alt + Del, my IT help desk is the Lounge and Google.

I do know it is an HDMI gold cable though :smile:
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

HansV wrote:From your description, I assume that you have already set the display to "Extended desktop".
Have you tried dragging a window from the PC screen to the TV (taking the relative position as set in the control panel into account)?
Hi Hans

Yes the screens are in extended mode, do you mean that if I open the web tracking page for the vans and resize it so that I can see the display options screen 1& 2 and then click on the web page and drag it to screen 2 (the large screen)?
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

You can use any window...
Say you open Windows Explorer. If it opens on your PC screen, simply try to drag it to the TV screen. (If you are not sure of the relative position of the TV as set in control panel), just drag it past the edge of the screen in all directions. Drag Windows Explorer past the top edge or past the left or right or bottom edges, to see if it displays on the TV screen. If you can't drag past your PC screen edges, then the issue is something different...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Rudi wrote:You can use any window...
Say you open Windows Explorer. If it opens on your PC screen, simply try to drag it to the TV screen. (If you are not sure of the relative position of the TV as set in control panel), just drag it past the edge of the screen in all directions. Drag Windows Explorer past the top edge or past the left or right or bottom edges, to see if it displays on the TV screen. If you can't drag past your PC screen edges, then the issue is something different...
Hi Rudi

Thanks for the explaination it eventually worked well, I assumed that because on the display centre the PC was on the left and marked as 1 and the auxillary screen was on the right marked 2 that I should drag the web page to the right and off the screen but it would only go half off but the sound played on screen 2. I discovered though that it would drag completely off the left side and now all is OK. :cheers:
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Glad you resolved it. I resign that beer though to Hans as it was his original suggestion that I simply elaborated on!
Hans, just to warn you that if you accept the free beer, I took a sip of it :sneaky: - and I have a mild cold at the moment...
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In that case, I'll let you finish it... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:In that case, I'll let you finish it... :grin:
You're so kind :yum:
Regards,
Rudi