Search for exact string

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Search for exact string

Post by ChrisGreaves »

According to Rudi by enclosing "search contents" in double-quotes I should have been delivered only posts that contained those 15 characters. Instead I seem to get the posts that contain both the 6-character "search" and the 8-character "contents".
Untitled.png
Am I (as usual) doing something wrong, or is this a "knobs and switches" matter.
I shudder to think that I might be the first lounger to use a full-string search since the new platform went in.

FWIW I was searching only "Other Applications", and I think I was at "topics only"
Thanks in advance
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Search for exact string

Post by HansV »

Enclosing a phrase in " has never worked for me here in Eileen's Lounge...

According to Google (which is an excellent way to search the Lounge), the exact text search content or search contents is not found in Eileen's Lounge (your post hasn't been indexed yet)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Not to hijack Chris' thread . . . does the + work to join words in searching here? I have used that in other forums powered by phpBB. For example "search+contents" would find only instances where both words appeared together.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, that has the same result as searching for search content:

S3497.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016