A Question of Skins

BobH
UraniumLounger

A Question of Skins

Post by BobH »

I have a shortcut icon that I use to launch Eileen's Lounge. I usually get the login screen unless I have had a recent session. The skin that the login screen shows (Subsilver, I think) is different from my chosen skin (Latte Red). Is that due to a cookie that has not been deleted? I have Firefox set to preserve the Eileen's Lounge cookie when it clears cookies on exit.

Whilst I'm here, I'll ask another about Remember Me. I always check that box when logging in yet the next time I have to login I must enter by user name and password. Could someone explain that, please?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: A Question of Skins

Post by HansV »

If you're not logged in, Eileen's Lounge is displayed using the default prosilver skin. There is no way it could show the skin that you selected in your User Control Panel - that requires you to be already logged in.

If you ticked the check box to remember you/keep you logged in, and you still have to log in the next time you visit us, the Lounge cookies must somehow have been deleted. Do you run some kind of 'cleaner' such as CCleaner?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 19:27
... Do you run some kind of 'cleaner' such as CCleaner?
Hello Hans, I'm having the same problem as Bob.
I am a new user to CCleaner.
I figured that I would clear out all ccokies before logging on, logging on (briefly), then closing down Firefox and checking what cookies were shown in CCleaner.
Only one!
So I shunted that across to the "Cookies to keep box", and was good for the next two or three Firefox loads (https://eileenslounge.com/search.php?se ... posts&sid= etc.) then had to log in again.

(1) maybe there is more than one cookie for the login
(2) maybe there is a time-limit on the cookie, about three hours?
(3) Most likely I am doing something wrong.

I think my load/unload/check cookies tactic is correct.

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, Hans. I run glarysoft utilities cleaner. I'll have to check to see if I can bypass the EL cookie when I clean.

Thanks for the info. I thought that a cookie would be too small to keep up with a skin choice but wondered if the skin pointer might be stored elsewhere on my system with pointer from the cookie.

Again, thanks for the info.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have no problem remaining logged in. I have, of course, ticked the check box to remember me/keep me logged in the last time I had to log in, a few days after the software upgrade early in May.

I have NOT set Firefox to remove cookies when I close the browser:
S3357.png
I do run CCleaner from time to time. I have added eileenslounge.com to the list of Cookies to Keep in Options > Cookies:
S3358.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You may be using an old shortcut that is no longer correct for the updated lounge. Can you manually navigate to https://eileenslounge.com and save your preferred view of the lounge as a new shortcut.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 20:09
I have no problem remaining logged in...
Lucky you. The software upgrade has prevented lock-out but it hasn't stopped me from randomly being logged out when I submit a post.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It is all reliable for me now. Maybe we should try to find a pattern and see if we can fix this.

What browser do you use Ken?
Do you use www in front of the lounge URL?
Do you use http or https?
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I use Firefox and https://eileenslounge.com. FF is NOT set to clear cookies on exit.

I use the remember me tick box on the login screen.

I do use Ccleaner occasionally but that is set to keep Lounge cookies and there does not seem to be a pattern to my use of Ccleaner and random log outs.

The spontaneous random log outs have occurred when I submit something but, unlike previously where I'd find myself staring at the login screen, now I stay on the relevant page and see my completed submission, I'm just tnot logged in any more. The log out is easy to spot because the skin changes from my choice back to the default prosilver.

As far as I know I am doing everything correctly.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's weird, neither my test user Dopje (who has no special privileges) nor my admin user have experienced problems lately.

:fanfare: By the way, congratulations on becoming radioactive! :fanfare:

S3359.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have to take that back - my test user Dopje was logged out after starting a new thread in the Test Area forum. :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 10:23
I have to take that back
Welcome to the real world :evilgrin:

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

According to Hans's screenshot above, Stuck went radioactive but immediately fainted due to the increase in power. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.