At least one new post has been added...

IanWilson
3StarLounger

At least one new post has been added...

Post by IanWilson »

Once or twice I have been making a reply and by the time I have finished writing it, someone else has posted to the same thread, so when I click "submit" I get a message that says that at least one new post has been added and I might like to review my post in the light of that. I see the point of that because it could stop too many "me too" replies to a previous post. But how do I review my post in the light of it? If I decide that I want to post anyway and click submit again, it just goes round and gives me the same message, and I end up having to re-write my post from scratch.

Ian

HansV
Administrator

Re: At least one new post has been added...

Post by HansV »

You should be able to submit if you want to - I've done that many times already. Make sure that you click the correct button.
Best wishes,
Hans

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

IanWilson wrote: [snip] If I decide that I want to post anyway and click submit again, it just goes round and gives me the same message, and I end up having to re-write my post from scratch.
Ian
I've had this happen to me in a busy thread, but only when an even newer post has been added between the time I reviewed the previously-new post(s) and submitted again. I just keep reviewing the new stuff and clicking "submit" until I finally get through. So far I haven't lost my original post. :crossfingers:
Samantha

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It usually happens when I am replying to something, and Hans has already answered the question, with a long commentary and a fully-annotated diagram!

(In fact, replace the "I am" with "anybody is" !) :smile:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

IanWilson wrote:... I get a message that says that at least one new post has been added and I might like to review my post in the light of that.
In another post I made a comment that I think it's a nice idea and I haven't had any problem scrolling down to see what the new post says and clicking to submit my post. It has worked several times for me.

With Ol' Twelve Fingers around in days gone by, I can't tell you how many times I've made a post only to learn that less than 60 seconds earlier Hans has already answered. In that case, one could cancel the post, so that's why I think it's a good idea.

PS Just teasing Hans. It's happened with others as well. It's one of the reasons that I keep a tab open to Who's Online to see if someone is already "reading" a post I'm about to try to answer.

It's all fun, isn't it?

PPS Here's a good case in point! John Gray has already made a similar post to mine, but I'm gonna submit anyways...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It has also happened to me that someone else posted a reply while I was composing one. In some cases I canceled my reply because it had become superfluous, in others I modified it in the light of the new reply, and in yet others, I submitted it without changes.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Because of this action I have lost several posts, some were very long and had to redo them.

Could this action be displayed with a different page color back ground, as the warning message does not stand out?
I am using the default skin.

Or can this be turned OFF by the user?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When the "Review" option is displayed, you can still submit the reply that you had composed, it isn't lost.

The "Review" option is a forum-level setting, not a user-level setting. It is intended to prevent embarrassment. If it is too confusing, however, we can turn it off.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:When the "Review" option is displayed, you can still submit the reply that you had composed, it isn't lost.

The "Review" option is a forum-level setting, not a user-level setting. It is intended to prevent embarrassment. If it is too confusing, however, we can turn it off.
I hope you WON'T turn it off. I find it informative and helpful. We just need to be CAREFUL of which buttons we click and make sure we hit SUBMIT.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since it is a forum-level setting, we could if desired turn it off for some forums and not for others. For example, in a "chatty" forum such as Scuttlebutt, where users often post replies in quick succession, it might make sense to turn it off - it's frustrating if you have to click the Submit button three or four times for a single reply. But I'd prefer to leave it "on" in the "serious" forums.
Best wishes,
Hans

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

If you're eliciting opinions, my :2cents: worth is to leave it on in all forums. Yes, I've had to re-click the Submit button several times, but on the whole, I'd rather deal with that than have a function turned on in one part of the Lounge and not in others.

I'm easily confused, and I don't need any outside help :confused:
Samantha

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I am not watching close enough, and when I see the new posted messages, without realizing that they are new, I hit a button to go to a new thread or board area, there losing my post with out doing a second "submit". :bwaah:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you should use Firefox, it seems to be better than Internet Explorer at going back to previously visited pages without displaying the dreaded "Page expired" message.
Best wishes,
Hans