Wish List

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Wish List

Post by PaulB »

I would find it very useful to have a 'Mark Topics Read' or 'Mark Forums Read' option on the 'View New Posts' and 'View Unread Posts' pages. I am using these two pages more and more to access the Lounge as there is no 'View Subscribed Forums' option. This would make it easier for me to dispose of those topics in forums in which I have no interest. Any consideration would be appreciated.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Wish List

Post by HansV »

Mike has looked into this some time ago, but it turned out to be much more difficult than he had anticipated - the code for "mark topics read" only works in the forum index screens, for some reason.

But if we ever find a way to make this work elsewhere, we'll add it to "View New Posts" and "View Unread Posts", for we agree that it would be useful.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks for the response, Hans. I thought I had read something relating to this subject previously but a quick search turned up nothing. To press the issue just a little bit more, has anyone looked into implementing 'mark forums read' in "View New Posts" and "View Unread Posts"? Would this not accomplish the same result?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think the code is similar and hence raises the same problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't use the unread or new links and I'm not trying to be a wise guy, Paul. It would only take one extra click to go to the Index and mark all forums read, huh... until or if something can be done.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bigaldoc wrote:...one extra click...
You're absolutely right, Al. It's just that I really believe in the conservation of energy... mine.
Regards,
Paul

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:I think the code is similar and hence raises the same problem.
Thanks, Hans. I will now :surrender:
Regards,
Paul

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

It's just that I really believe in the conservation of energy...
Why not create a Bookmark / Favourite from the 'Mark forums read' link? - you won't even have to visit the Lounge to mark all posts read :grin:
Leif

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Seems like a great solution, but... I notice that the hash number portion of the URL is different each time I use the link. Leads me to believe that if I bookmark it today, it may not work tomorrow.
Regards,
Paul

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not certain about this, but that hash number might well be the reason it's not so easy to provide a link to mark forums or topics read in other places than the standard ones.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

PaulB wrote:Seems like a great solution, but... I notice that the hash number portion of the URL is different each time I use the link. Leads me to believe that if I bookmark it today, it may not work tomorrow.
You're right - it doesn't... :sad:
Leif