Webpage expired

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Webpage expired

Post by viking33 »

Trying to use the browser Back button to move around causes a "Webpage has Expired" error.
Refresh F5 doesn't help.
Ideas?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Re: Webpage expired

Post by VegasNath »

Hi Bob, nice to see you here :smile:

I get that also, but I find that it only happens after making a post. Returning to the ***lounge lobby seems to fix it. It seems to be exactly the same behaviour as the other place.

***Edit: Board index. Will the lounge lobby make a return?
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

VegasNath wrote:Hi Bob, nice to see you here :smile:

I get that also, but I find that it only happens after making a post. Returning to the lounge lobby seems to fix it. It seems to be exactly the same behaviour as the other place.
Thanks, Nathan. Good to see you too.
I guess I didn't notice that happening "there"!! ( even after posting ) :scratch:
BOB

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

viking33 wrote: I guess I didn't notice that happening "there"!! ( even after posting ) :scratch:
I always experienced it. I don't think I ever reported it and I don't remember ever seeing it documented anywhere, but I just got used to it. Whether it is specific to certain browsers...???

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is my experience - your mileage may vary:

IE8 tries to refresh a page in more situations than Firefox. So if you want to see the most recent versions of pages, use IE8 with the increased risk of getting the "expired" notice.

Firefox uses the cached version of a page more often. So if you want to avoid the "expired" notice, use Firefox with the increased risk of viewing an out-of-date page.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:This is my experience - your mileage may vary:

IE8 tries to refresh a page in more situations than Firefox. So if you want to see the most recent versions of pages, use IE8 with the increased risk of getting the "expired" notice.

Firefox uses the cached version of a page more often. So if you want to avoid the "expired" notice, use Firefox with the increased risk of viewing an out-of-date page.
Thanks, Hans. Been using IE 8 since release but did not notice the increased risk.
Not going to FF just for that reason.
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And for what it's worth to an OLD LOUNGER, I learned a long, long time ago, in the pre-IPB Lounge days, it was recommended NOT to use the back button AT ALL (I think), regardless of browser. Way back then, the recommendation may even have been posted by Eileen. In any event, I almost always use one of the clickables on whatever page I'm on simply to avoid using the back button.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Oops, not sure if this really makes a difference, but adding to my post above.....

I don't actually use the back button, I use the alt & arrow keys, which I assume is the same thing.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I use Fx (99.9 % of the time) and know about the things mentioned by Hans and Al, but I like the possibility to (sometimes) use the back button (or similar keyboard control) to back out of a "server error" or similar; for example being able to copy and save a post or similar (if not already done).

With IE, as Hans mentioned, you many times get "Webpage has Expired" everywhere you look, i.e. if when going forward, you can almost be sure (depending on if the post is saved off-line :laugh:) that there is a "Webpage has Expired" going backward as well.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.